LED Question

In addition to John's response - the "rated current" is usually the current at which the other specifications apply (such as optical power, forward voltage, etc.).

Reply to
w2aew

Exceeding max continuous current may result in a damaged device. Operating just under max operating current will not destroy the device but operates it at very high internal temperature that accelerates all aging and wear out mechanisms, including decay of light output.

Rated current is the recommended operating point, with lots of forgiveness for normal tolerances and a long, predictable operating life.

Reply to
John Popelish

What's the difference between "max continuous current" and "rated current"?

I have leds with 30MA for the former and 10MA for the latter.

I'd like to be as bright as possible without burning out the LED. Can I do that safely at 30MA or 10MA?

Reply to
Jim Slade