laser pointer

can i make a laser pointer from an old cd player? i tore it apart and found this tiny board mounted with a small component "7283" that has a window and sits on a small brass heatsink..it butted up to a prism mirror etc and a lens sat on top.

what volts does it need? where can i look it up?

Reply to
sb2004

No - you can't. It's not a visible wavelength of the laser used in cd-player. :-(

Reply to
simo.kaltiainen

Sure ya can...as long as you supply your audience with infrared vision gear.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

They would look something like this:

Bob

Reply to
Bob

HAHAHA Yeah I've also noticed some optical mice manufactured using these invisible types too. My new Logitech MediaPlay cordless is like that.

Jason.

Reply to
Jason S

It's an infrared laser, and it's dangerous since you would'nt have a blink reflex in case you point it to your eyes.

However DVDs use a wavelength of 650nm, which should be red light. The laser user in writers are quite powerful, around 10mW. I never tried it though.

vic

Reply to
vic