Infrared port on motherboard -- how to use?

What do I need to use the infrared ports built into motherboards?

I have an infrared remote control for a Hauppauge TV tuner card that includes a transmitter and receiver (LED and phototransistor?) connected to a 4-section phono plug. Can I simply wire it into the transmit and receive ports? Do I need to include current-limiting resistors?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly