Increasing AC frequency

Guys:

I'm looking at an application where it would be advantageous to have an AC mains frequency of around 500 Hz (120 V), rather than the standard 60Hz. Is there a simple/economical way to convert from 60 to

500? It doesn't have to be variable.

Don

Reply to
eromlignod

Static inverters and motor generators are the usual industrial ways, although 500 Hz is (AFAIK) rather rarer than 400 Hz.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

"eromlignod"

** Lotsa roos loose in this guy's top paddock.

** Thank god for that.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

400Hz is a common frequency on airplanes, because the distances are shorter and the transformers cheaper.

"Simple" and "economical" are slippery words -- compared to a line cord, no, there is no simple and economical way. Compared to the cost and complexity of what you need to power? How should we know, you haven't said!

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

"Tim Wescott"

** That explanation makes no sense to anyone.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thank you, anyone. I'm sorry that you don't understand. Some knowledge of basic electromagnetic theory would go a long way to alleviating your problems in this regard.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

"eromlignod" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@h14g2000yqd.googlegroups.com...

Get a 500Hz oscillator, an audio amplifier and an (audio) transformer.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Explain what you really want to do.

Switching supplies are an example of using higher frequencies so that the transformer can be much smaller (because it is handling a higher frequency).

Note that any switching supply converts existing AC to DC, which then powers a power oscillator that feeds the transformer at a higher frequency.

But until you explain what you really want, the solution isn't there.

If you're thinking it would be nice to have a smaller transformer in the power supply, it's already done.

If you hope to get timing off the AC line, but think a higher frequency makes more sense, then you do the timing from some internal standard rather than using the AC line for timing.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

"Tim Wescott the TROLL "

** My god you are an illiterate f*****ad.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Simple:60Hz motor driving a 500 Hz generator. Better:60Hz motor driving a 400 Hz generator, combo to be found in army surplus trade.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Dangit! I was _thinking_ lighter! Really!

(they're sure as heck not cheaper!).

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

--
Power out?

Sinusoidal output?
Reply to
John Fields

Tim Wescott schrieb:

Hello,

the weight of the transformers is important for airplanes and this is much smaller using 400 Hz instead of 50 or 60 Hz. Transformers for the use in airplanes are not cheap.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

simple but not economical would be get an AC power supply from California Instruments.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader