In Circuit PIC reading

Hi

I have a circuit that has a PIC controller and it has 5 connection points that are connected to the correct points for in circuit programming. I also have a PIC programmer board with an in circuit programming header. My idea was to read the code on the PIC, possible modify it. So I hooked it all up and when I went to read it the programmer did not find a PIC chip to read. I did not venture any farther because I thought that code protection may be enabled on the PIC, but then when I thought some more I realised it may be my connections or something wrong with what I was doing. Before I try again can anyone tell me what happens when trying to read a code protected PIC? Does it find it but not read it or not find it completly like I already found? Also can I do any damage to the circuit(as long as everything is connected to the right connections)?

Cheers Paul

Reply to
Paul ( Skiing8 )

Some PIC's read out scrambled, others all zero. Your programmer should be able to check whether there's a PIC connected or not. If all connections are made according to Microchip's recommendations (not just wired) you will not damage your circuit.

HTH, Mark Van Borm

Reply to
Mark VB