idiots guide to 5vdc amplification

Can somebody help an idiot such as myself.

I have a 0Vdc to 5Vdc variable signal of which I need to amplify to a variable range of 0Vdc to 10Vdc.

Thought I needed an OpAmp to do this, but can't recall how to go about it, or what hardware I will need.

Can anybody give me a simple guide as to what I need to do to achieve this. I am only talking Milliamps here.

Cheers Ian

Reply to
Ian Tedridge

An opamp may be a good way to do this. You connect the signal to the

  • input and connect the output to a divider made of two equal resistors, say 10k ohms. the other end of the divider goes to ground and the junction of the two resistors connects to the - input. The opamp will need a supply of at least 0 to 10 volts, if it is a rail to rail type, but at least 0 to 13 volts if it is a single supply type (like the Quad LM324) or at least -3 to 13 if it is a general purpose type.

To check the configuration, verify that the two inputs at at similar voltages at the ends of the signal range. At zero volts in and 0 volts out, there is zero volts on each input. At 5 volts signal and

10 volts out, there is 5 volts on each input b(the signal on one, and the output divided by 2 on the other).
Reply to
John Popelish

Andrew Holme