How do I hook up 5 hp motor

Hi guys a friend of my husbands gave me an old 5 horse electric motor single phase 220 volts. It has no wiring diagram with it. there are 4 wires (black) in a metal box mounted on the side of the motor. Two of the black wires have an extra band of tape on them. If I take an meter to one of the banded wires and one of the not banded wires I get a short and the same thing with the other two. So would I take both banded wires to one side of the 220 and the other two not banded wires to the other side of the 220 or do they go in series I don't want to burn it out before I get to use it Thanks Guys Nikki

Reply to
Nikki