board house that can do large, simple PCBs cheaply?

Hi - I'm planning on having some fairly large (about 1 square foot) PCBs made up. Depending on how cheaply I can get them made, I'll want somewhere around 20-50 or so. I'm used to using places like Gold Phoenix for my boards, as they'll make lots of little boards cheaply. For example, they'll do 155 in^2 for $110.

- but I don't want lots of small boards. I want a bunch of big ones. But they're also very simple - no super fine traces - just about 50 through hole components or so. Anybody know of a place that can do this without charging an arm and a leg?

Reply to
Mike Noone

I have got problims with your defintions of units.

First off you mention 1 square foot and then later on you mention 155 inches squared. I'm sure there is a difference in the definitions of the relative areas. Cripes!!!!! if I've got that right you have placed 50 through hole components on a 1 foot by 1 foot board which is 144 inches squared.

That sounds a bit mingy.

Either you are shit at laying out PCBS, for whatever reason..... Or you've got some chundering big components on you board.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Where are you located?, and it is important for to you to have a local vendor? I suggest a search on

They'll typically have both domestic and overseas PCB vendors exhibiting at their shows. It's a good place to start anyway. And if you're ever in the neighborhood when one of these Expos is happening, it's generally worth the trip.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

My units are correct. 155 in^2/$110 is a set price on the link I provided. I'm making up some of these:

for myself and a bunch of friends - hence the large size but low pin count.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Noone

Crikey, another anarchist! ;-)

If it is single-sided, Futurlec

would bang those out for $15 setup + $65 per piece, plus shipping.

(Calculator at

budgie

hence the large size but low pin count.

You could skip the circuit board costs altogether.

Option-1: Just use some perf-board and wire-wrap it. (Probably the best option.) Plus, you learn some valuable new skills: wire-wrapping, and patience.

Option-2: Get LED's with pre-soldered leads (I've seen these in catalogs with about 6") and route those to a much smaller PCB, with the LED's mounted to some other structure.

Option-3: Ask the Great City of Boston for some of their "leftovers". As incompetent as they were at identifying them as bombs, my guess is they were just as imcompetent at blowing them up.?? I'll bet you could easliy piece together one or two from the remains...

Or...Option-4: Even better. eBay the wreckage!! Some fool will buy it, and you can have a nice relaxing vacation in the South Pacific!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

For something like this, just a few dollars will buy you can buy a few square feet of FR4 or other phenolic etc. uncoppered board material (

stocks this stuff, in different colors, and will have it to you next day) and drill the holes and solder the raw wires behind the board.

You might try being more artistic and less copycat. Believe it or not, in the 2006 National Portrait competition, one of my favorite entries was done with Lite-Brites.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Don't know what the big deal was... There have been 'led throwies' all over boston near college campuses for a long time, and no one ever called in a bomb-scare before.Guess the mooninites lite-brite was to noticeable.

Reply to
maxfoo

Yeah but, he won't get over $5000.00 on ebay for it ;^D

maxfoo

People have have been doing similar using ceramic tiles and glue for a number of years. the LED idea is a neat twist.

For that size and pin count i'd consider using Formica offcuts for circuitboard and wire-wrap for interconnect. Every time the kitchen factory fits a sink to a benchtop they must produce an offcut of about the right size,

Bye, Jasen

Reply to
jasen