Home made AC-AC power supply question

6 bucks.
Reply to
Bob Monsen

Thanks Bob but I've already got one of those, Trouble is if I plug it into the wall I very may well have a fire/explosion/catastrophe. I'm in Australia, that's a 240Vac

50Hz supply. ;-) Wish I could find one here for $6.
Reply to
Clubsprint

Reply to
Clubsprint

"Clubsprint"

** DROP DEAD -

you vile TOP POSTING CUNTHEAD

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

He's like a car crash. You know you shouldn't but you just cant help looking. Thanks for the laughs.

Reply to
Clubsprint

"Clubsprint "

** GO DROP DEAD -

YOU STINKING ASD FUCKED CRIMINAL ARSEHOLE !!!

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Forget the egotistical insults! Reminiscent of the schoolyard they add nothing, and are not even amusing. Small minds .... etc. Probably originated by some whose only tactic is to become abusive and offensive when anyone questions how something they have written down is understood or misunderstood.

Unfortunately they are the ones who start dissent. With a "My way or no way" mentality. And then? "Oops; I was wrong, but I ain't going to admit it"!

Suggestion to all posters: Don't respond; saves lot of time! It is one old the oldest (unsuccessful) tricks in the world to throw doubt on someones argument/opinion by insulting the individual. Calling them, for example a 'moron' or an 'axxhoxe' etc. Means nothing! Most of us have been called worse, by better people!

Unfortunately a lot of those populating these various news groups do not think, or know anything beyond or of outside North America. Thus they judge everything by USA (or Canadian, or perhaps Mexican standards). Seeming to think there is no other way.

And even if they are North American their grasp and understanding of a good English vocabulary as spoken elsewhere in the world is sometimes a little suspect?

Incidentally North America itself also domestically uses 240 volts (60 hertz), along with 120 volts, for heavier appliances etc. while much of the rest of the world use 240 volts for everything. Advantages to both systems.

Even btw a 60 hertz transformer labelled as from the USA may actually have been manufactured in China, or Korea, Singapore or somewhere! Much of it is! Especially if bought through large US based retailers such as Wal Mart, Costco or Radio Shack (Tandy). Guess there must be equivalent Australian/New Zealand retailers?

Good luck to the original poster; provided not totally confused by all the misunderstood 120 volt information. The basic question; what was it, an output of 9 volts AC (RMS) at 2.5 amps (only 22 watts or thereabouts) should be easy enough to to provide. A modified auto battery charger transformer especially it its got a low charge current tap might do it?

But depends on the knowledge, tools and resources of the individual to hook it up safely; with as recommended a small fuse in the input primary of the transformer.

Reply to
terryS

Note that this particular jerk is from Australia... (see the .au TLD?)

Reply to
Doug Miller

"Doug Miller"

** DROP DEAD -

YOU PATHETIC SEPTIC ASSHOLE !!!

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yeah he seems to be. Very untypical and quite an embarrasment really.

Reply to
Clubsprint

Thanks MC. You're info has been great. One last question. What calculation do I use to work out the current requirements on the primary? So if the seconday is 9vAC 2.5Amps how do I know what the current rwequired for the 240Vac primary?

Reply to
Clubsprint

Volts * Amps = Volts * Amps (also equals Watts, but that's irrelevant here)

So: 9 * 2.5 = 240 * X

so (9 * 2.5)/240 = X

so 22.5/240 = X

so 0.09375 = X but that's in Amps...

so about 94 milliamps, call it 100 or 125 mA (1/8 amp) to be on the safe side (transformers are not 100% efficient).

Use a 1/4 amp fuse rated for 250V or more.

Ecnerwal

No worries. I think everyone understands that he's a "special case", and so we don't ascribe his peculiar characteristics to all Aussies in general.

--
Regards,

It\'s time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor again.
Reply to
Doug Miller

"Ecnerwal"

** Shame how that will not work.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Clubsprint "

** GO DROP DEAD -

YOU STINKING , ASD FUCKED CRIMINAL, ARSEHOLE !!!

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Doug Miller"

** DROP DEAD -

YOU PATHETIC SEPTIC ASSHOLE !!!

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Just buy a proper one, they are available Try here for a 9.6V 2.5A one for example:

Or parallel a couple of 1A ones, everyone stocks those.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jones"

** That is an EXTRAORDINARILY dangerous suggestion !!

AC adaptors must NEVER be wired in parallel - or one will power the other making the exposed pins live at 240 volts.

Shame, shame, shame on you DLJ.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

--
If their mains plugs are used to plug in to mains receptacles and
they\'re phased correctly, how so?

"John Fields" "Phil Allison"

** Whaaaaaattttttt ??????????????

Serious lack of imagination and the basic principle of Murphy's Law noted.

BTW

A 9 volt 1 amp adaptor is a " wall wart" - so no plugs.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison