Help with replacing an AC adaptor

Can you replace a transformer with an input rating of 120VAC 60Hz 12W and output rating of 12vdc 500mA with one that has an input rating of

120vac 60hz 25w and an output rating of 12VDC 1A? Polarity is the same. Thanks
Reply to
webmaster

Yes, that'll be just fine (subject to the usual caveats such as detail information not supplied).

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

yes

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

** Is the 500mA one regulated or SMPS ??

( SMPS ones are very light weight. )

What about the replacement - regulated or SMPS ?

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks for everyone's replies. It's what I thought.

As for the regulated vs SMPS, I don't know. Besides the model number there aren't any other specifications on them other than that they are both Plug in Class 2 Power Supplies and UL rated. They are both adapters for Linksys routers. One for a newer model failed and the replacement is from an older model router. They are both heavyish square looking transformers.

Thanks again, Rick

Reply to
webmaster

"Phil Allison"

** Do you own a multimeter ??

If so - use it to check the voltage on the DC plug.

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yes.

Reply to