Varispeed for small shaded pole motors

Hi, The fan motor in my range hood just burnt out. I can't get the agent to talk to me about a replacement, so I've sourced a similar motor myself. It's a small shaded pole single phase motor, rated 240V 0.32A. The original was two speed, the new one is single speed. How do these little motors handle VVVF control? Any suggestions for a good supplier for a really compact, simple varispeed controller? TIA

Reply to
Bruce Varley

Why not try an electronic ceiling fan speed controller?, usually about $20 if you shop around.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

those sort of fans are usually slowed by reducing the voltage and relying on the fact that load torque drops faster than speed.

try a series capacitor.

Jasen Betts

t's

3 speed Ceiling fan speed controls usually use a series capacitor (actually 2 of them for 2 different reduced speed settings) I would check this if you are buying one, make sure its not the triac type as this wont work.

A low wattage fluro ballast may work too. - I have seen this method used to reduce the speed of a small AC fan, simply by limiting the current (though its probably bodgy :). If you have any lying around its worth a try. (note - use only magnetic ballast, not electronic ones).

Reply to
kreed

t's

3 speed Ceiling fan speed controls usually use a series capacitor (actually 2 of them for 2 different reduced speed settings) I would check this if you are buying one, make sure its not the triac type as this wont work.

A low wattage fluro ballast may work too. - I have seen this method used to reduce the speed of a small AC fan, simply by limiting the current (though its probably bodgy :). If you have any lying around its worth a try. (note - use only magnetic ballast, not electronic ones).

Reply to
kreed

t's

How was the speed varied on the old motor ? did it have 2 windings (taps) and switched between them ?

Reply to
kreed

How was the speed varied on the old motor ? did it have 2 windings (taps) and switched between them ?

Yep, switched windings.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. A 2u mains rated cap did the job fine.

Reply to
Bruce Varley