H1102 transformer functions

Hi,

I saw the datasheet of pulse H1102 ethernet magnetic but cannot understand the theory.

I want to know what is the function of the transformers interfacing to the RJ45 ethernet network. Is it used to reject common mode noise?

Besides, why do I need to use the magnetic to interface to ethernet?

Thanks!

Reply to
eeh

Yes; and for isolation - to protect sensitive inputs from different mains earth voltages around the building.

Well, if you're just experimenting - with short CAT5 cable runs - you don't. This guy connected the pins of an FPGA directly to his hub for transmitting, and just used a simple discrete-transistor differential-amplifier for receiving:

I wouldn't do it without magnetics myself. It's not that hard. I used the SI-10021 RJ45 connector with integral magnetics from RS Components in this project:

Andrew Holme