Gender Inequality in Electronics

There is a common gender inequality for electronics products. People who buy light bulbs prefer Edison bulbs over female invented bulbs. TV sets designed by men like Farnsworth are purchased more than TV sets invented by women. Computer transistor hardware is invented by men like Shockley and Moore instead of female transistor types. The list is large where examples of toasters, ovens, heaters, cars, airplanes, nuclear generators, AC generators, motors, water pumps, tractors, motorcycles made by men are preferred over those invented, designed, and sold by females. Please consider purchasing airplanes invented by women the next time you fly. Instead of the qwerty keyboard, buy keyboards arranged by women. When you use an internet, use one invented by women. When talking on a telephone, shun the Alexander Grahm Bell type and use the female style telephones that are advertised. Why should the Wright Brothers, Bells, Einsteins, and Edisons be favored over the billions of female electronics and technological producers? Is there some kind of logic to that gender bias?

Reply to
Globemaker

YAWN.......................

Michael A. Terrell

Globemaker laid this down on his screen :

Tell us their names so we will know what to look for. :-?

--
John G.
Reply to

Why do electronics companies exclude women from their founding members? Why did not technology companies start with names like this? Hewlett Packard Susan Perkin Elmer Kathy Pratt and Whitney and Heather Jobs Wozniak and Mary Queen of England Radar Company Hughes and Daughters Tool Co. Delilah Inc. Ruth Westinghouse Tessy Tesla Motors

When will women get the courage to sue for what they deserve and get named with their peers? This injustice should be retroactively cured. Is there some kind of genetic difference between men and women that has left women without the intelligence to invent electronic devices? Or are they treated unfairly when companies are named? Are they kept out of colleges and ignored for promotions that would put them in the laboratories and offices where the progress is going on today? This gender bias is institutionalized and cannot be changed without a concentrated effort by the brightest women of today. Please, if you are a women, invent something profound like anti-gravity, cold fusion, low leakage semiconductors, thousand year memory electronics, magnetic bicycles, lightning collectors, or high temperature electronic systems to work on the Sun.

Reply to
Globemaker

(...)

Worry not. They've received some recognition, however insufficient. Someday Rosalind Franklin's contribution to the decoding of DNA will be as well known as is Watson and Crick's, for example.

I still think Hedy Lamarr's frequency-hopping communications layer is very cool.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I suspect that's the whole point of the sarcastic article.

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

People buy products:

(a) because they have a perceived need.

(b) because they fulfil the required function.

As to the gender, race, nationality, or hat size of whoever invented them, they don't give a rat' ass. Why should they?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

You suspect that there *was* a point?

Reply to
krw

It's a different kind of intelligence. My wife is very intelligent but no good with electricity or mechanics. She's a superb speech pathologist. Speech Pathology is a profession that is literally 98% female.

There are lots of female scientists and programmers and managers, but very few electronic circuit designers. I don't think it's an institutional issue.

John

Maybe the dude got henpecked nearly to death over Thanksgiving Holiday. It may be his way of healing. BTW: I always use Madame Curie's product in my DeLorean DMC-12.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Most of which are pie-in-the-sky fantasies, at odds with the laws of physics.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Thousand year memory is here: just program a CNC to carve the data into a stone tablet. :)

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

Who needs a CNC? I got a hammer and chisel ;-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse