Floating the 'scope

Most people that do electrical measurments and are in the habit of breaking the ground would have ground busters on hand. They might have to go to the hardware the first time to get one (or more), but never again.

To disconnect the ground inside an instrument like a scope or signal generator would involve voiding the calibration. Just have a ground buster on hand.

Reply to
The Phantom

the

That last link has a better picture.

Where are the scope inputs?

I see 4 multimeter-like inputs along the bottom, colored red, red, black, red from left to right. Are these also the inputs for the scope? I don't see any other inputs. Are they on the side?

Reply to
The Phantom

That's what the vertical offset knob is for.

You only get one differential channel per 7A13. Each isolated channel on the TPS2024 is a differential input when the ground clip can be connected anywhere, so there are 4 differential channels.

Reply to
The Phantom

Point taken.

Yep a scope with true isolated inputs is the best solution.

Reply to
Hammy

The last time I went looking for one they were all in the thousands or at least over a grand. That was a couple of years ago though.

There seems to be a lot more out there now for just a couple of hundred. Maybe its time to look around again.

Reply to
Hammy

the

yes, they are on the right bottom side. I don't know why they don't show the picture of them.

Power jack on the top left, along with the serial port/USB and back light switch on the left side.

Reply to
Jamie

I've seen a lot of IEC power cords with the ground pin cut off. Those were cut up for scrap.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

hardware

WTF is a ground buster? Are you referring to a two to three wire ground adapter? If so, use the proper name.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

I've been doing electrical measurements for nearly fifty years, and I've never had one.

Tek actually used to make one. Anything over about 15 - 20 volts float and it tripped the supply, I've only ever seen one, in the hands of someone else.

Some people are animals. Calibration? Wossat?

Some of the things I've seen done to instruments, you wouldn't believe.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Bandwidth / risetime isn't enough for what I need. The CT3686 might cut it.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

How many screens will it window?

7A13 will measure a 1mV portion of a 10V signal.

Does it have a calibrated comparison voltage? Useful for things like measuring staircase steps.

I've never needed 4 differential channels, but if I did, I'd use two mainframes and four 7a13s (Yes, I do have four)

I've used a 7a13 for vertical deflection on a couple of occasions. You can put amplifiers in timebase slots. Full differential X-Y.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I'll have to check that on Monday, but I've never needed more.

10 volt offset is the max the 7A13 can do. The TPS2024 can do way more than that for large signals.

The value of the offset is displayed as a 3 digit number on screen. The deflection factor is also calibrated.

When using two mainframes, how do you see all four traces on the same screen?

Isn't vertical deflection the usual mode? Maybe you mean that you used a 7A13 for horizontal deflection. Isn't that what you'd have to do for X-Y mode?

Most modern scopes have an X-Y mode; so does the TPS2024. Since all the channels on the TPS2024 are effectively differential, its X-Y mode is a differential X-Y mode

The TPS2024 can do math functions on differential signals, too.

Reply to
phantom

Sorry I'm not trying to be stupid. I certainly wouldn't float the scope if I was looking at high voltages or AC line signals. Most often I float the scope because I've got some interference that looks like it might be a ground loop. I want to see if it's through the scope. I have a single AC line cord with the third wire clipped. It's got green tape on both ends of the plug. It stays in my wire drawer. If it somehow makes it's way onto the production floor I can easily retrieve it (The green tape helps.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

es

Oh, connecting to line voltages is something I thankfully have to do rarely, and when I do it's with great care. (I do own a suicide plug that is a one piece AC to banana... scary...)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

=3DEN

scopes,

=3DEN

Thanks Hammy, you're right we should buy an isolation transformer. Is it OK to power the 'scope with the isolation tranny? Or does this defeat the whole purpose again?

"> Its not really a good idea to float your scope."

What about floating it to get rid of ground loops?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0(Stephen Leacock)

Yup, that's what I should have done, But I'd have had to find the matching 'scope probe (They tend to wander around and become separated.) And the floating AC cable was lying there behind the equipment. (I'd just been using it.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ce of

und

Yup, I'm just like most idiots! (But I put green tape on both ends of the cord.) The ground buster was before the universal AC input.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

of

Good for you. That would get you fired any place I've ever worked. If you needed isolation, you plugged whatever you were working on into an isolation transformer. If OSHA found a cord like that, the company would be fined and it could run into thousands of dollars.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Lotsa luck selling the 'don't tamper' argument on this newsgroup. Better to point out the option of making a CLEARLY VISIBLE indication of the floating case, like a hulking isolation transformer next to the 'scope.

Floating the 'scope is one of the great useful techniques, it must be implemented somehow on a good test workbench.

Reply to
whit3rd

That's at 1mV per division.

+/-100V at 10mV to 50mV per division +/-500V at 0.1 to 0.5V per division +/-500V at 1V to 5V per division. Displayed voltage multiplied by 10 when x10 probe sensed. IOW, the +/- offset voltage can be applied to either input without attenuation. It's a true slideback measurement using a variable voltage and built-in DVM.

I guess you mean at greater input attenuator settings?

As can the 7A13

The 7A13 offset is actually a "real" DC voltage, indicated by a "real" DVM. Also available at a front panel socket for external measurement.

There aren't many instruments whose deflection factor isn't calibrated. They wouldn't be of much use without.

You don't. You use two screens.

You're right, I meant horizontal (X). I tend to think "X and Y". My mistake. Peccavi et mea freakin' culpa!

I don't think I've ever had a 'scope that wouldn't do X-Y. going back 40 years. Some had restricted X bandwidth.