FidoCadJ: a drawing utility for discussion groups and forums dedicated to electronics

Hello to everybody, discussing about electronic circuits often requires to exchange schematics. This is somehow awkward to do on a Usenet group like sci.electronics.basics or on an Internet forum, since it is not possible or it is impractical to attach images. Nowadays, there are some image hosting websites which make this easier than a few years ago, but if someone wants to correct or modify one of the posted images, he often needs to redraw it.

For this reason, I would like to announce here FidoCadJ 0.23.5, a small utility, which has been developed to draw very easily electronic schematics as well as simple printed circuit boards. A particularity of FidoCadJ is that the drawing is represented as a very compact code that can be copy/pasted in a Usenet post, instead of ASCII drawings. The great advantage is that having the source code everyone can modify it, without expensive or difficult to use tools, and the rendering is much better than ASCII.

FidoCadJ is *completely* free of charge and it is a open source GPL v.

3 project. It has a library containing the most common symbols, it is mutiplatform just requiring Java. FidoCadJ is currently used on Windows, on many Linux distributions and on MacOSX. Thanks to the help of many users, FidoCadJ is now available in English, Italian, French and Spanish.

Here is the link of the SourceForge project dedicated to FidoCadJ:

You may find the English user manual here:

And here is the link to a web page in which I further describe this program:

Let's see now an example of a simple circuit containing an operational amplifier, rendered in ASCII (858 bytes long, to be seen with a non proportional font):

----+-------- Vcc -----------------+------- | | C1 +--------|--/\/\/\---+ ----- | |\ | R1 | ----- C3 || | | \| | | In o---||--/\/\/\---+----|- \ | || | || R2 | >--------+---||---o Out +-----+ +----|+ / || | | | | /| | === | |/ | U1 C2 ----- = === | C4 ----- - = | | - ----+-------- Vee -----------------+-------

And here is the same circuit, coded in the FidoCadJ format (859 bytes long!):

[FIDOCAD] MC 80 60 2 1 580 MC 105 35 0 0 080 MC 50 50 0 0 080 MC 125 55 0 0 170 MC 30 50 0 0 170 MC 155 30 1 0 170 MC 155 75 1 0 170 SA 95 20 0 SA 95 95 0 LI 75 20 170 20 0 LI 75 95 170 95 0 LI 155 85 155 95 0 LI 155 75 155 40 0 LI 155 30 155 20 0 LI 95 20 95 50 0 LI 95 60 95 95 0 LI 105 55 125 55 0 LI 115 35 120 35 0 LI 120 35 120 55 0 LI 105 35 70 35 0 LI 70 35 70 50 0 LI 80 50 60 50 0 LI 50 50 40 50 0 SA 120 55 0 SA 70 50 0 LI 80 60 70 60 0 LI 70 60 70 70 0 MC 170 60 0 0 045 MC 70 70 0 0 045 LI 155 55 170 55 0 LI 170 55 170 60 0 SA 155 20 0 SA 155 55 0 SA 155 95 0 TY 100 10 4 3 0 0 0 * Vcc TY 100 100 4 3 0 0 0 * Vee TY 50 40 4 3 0 0 0 * R2 TY 105 25 4 3 0 0 0 * R1 MC 135 55 0 0 000 MC 30 50 2 0 000 TY 30 40 4 3 0 0 0 * C1 TY 130 60 4 3 0 0 0 * C2 TY 160 75 4 3 0 0 0 * C4 TY 160 30 4 3 0 0 0 * C3 TY 17 47 4 3 0 0 0 * In TY 138 45 4 3 0 0 0 * Out

If you are curious to see how the code shown above is rendered in FidoCadJ, you just have to copy and paste it in the program or in the following applet:

Copy it in the text field just below the title of the page and press "Draw the circuit".

FidoCadJ has had a notable success in Italy and in France and some Internet forums now adopt it as a standard for the exchange of drawings. For this reason, it appeared useful for webmasters to have something to render "on the fly" the format, so that the forum users do not need anything just to see the schematics in their browser. Here is a link to the FidoReadPHP project, a GPL v.3 class written in PHP. It makes it possible to convert FidoCadJ drawings directly on a web server:

Some websites and forums now include FidoReadPHP for the automatic rendering of the drawings.

If you are interested in FidoCadJ (or FidoReadPHP if you are a webmaster), feel free to download and test it as much as you want. You can participate to the development of FidoCadJ by posting a review on SourceForge or on Ohloh, by spotting typos in the manuals, or by reporting bugs. Remember that, as in any open source project, your feedback is highly appreciated!

Best regards,

Davide

P.S. I am more active on it.hobby.elettronica, but I am often lurking sci.electronics.basics and sci.electronics.design, so this is why I am posting this announce here.

Reply to
Darwin

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 08:20:27 -0800 (PST), Darwin wrote:

Most of us use LT Spice, and just post the ascii schematic file here. Then people can not only see it, they can play with the simulation.

Version 4 SHEET 1 1376 708 WIRE 128 -48 80 -48 WIRE 240 -48 192 -48 WIRE 352 -48 320 -48 WIRE 656 16 192 16 WIRE 848 16 656 16 WIRE 848 32 848 16 WIRE 192 96 192 16 WIRE -144 144 -176 144 WIRE -96 144 -144 144 WIRE 80 144 80 -48 WIRE 80 144 -16 144 WIRE 160 144 80 144 WIRE 848 144 848 112 WIRE 656 160 656 16 WIRE 352 176 352 -48 WIRE 352 176 304 176 WIRE 384 176 352 176 WIRE 608 176 464 176 WIRE 160 208 80 208 WIRE -176 224 -176 144 WIRE 192 288 192 256 WIRE -176 384 -176 304 WIRE -112 384 -176 384 WIRE 80 384 80 208 WIRE 80 384 -32 384 WIRE 176 384 80 384 WIRE 576 384 256 384 WIRE 656 384 656 256 WIRE 656 384 576 384 WIRE 736 384 656 384 WIRE 912 384 736 384 WIRE 576 432 576 384 WIRE -176 448 -176 384 WIRE 912 448 912 384 WIRE 576 544 576 496 WIRE 912 576 912 528 FLAG 192 288 0 FLAG -176 448 0 FLAG 576 544 0 FLAG 848 144 0 FLAG -144 144 IN FLAG 736 384 OUT FLAG 912 576 0 SYMBOL Opamps\\LT1784 192 176 R0 SYMATTR InstName U1 SYMBOL res 480 160 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 0 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 0 SYMATTR InstName R1 SYMATTR Value 100 SYMBOL res 272 368 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 0 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 0 SYMATTR InstName R2 SYMATTR Value 300 SYMBOL res -16 368 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 0 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 0 SYMATTR InstName R3 SYMATTR Value 100 SYMBOL res 0 128 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 0 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 0 SYMATTR InstName R4 SYMATTR Value 10K SYMBOL cap 192 -64 R90 WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 0 WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 0 SYMATTR InstName C1 SYMATTR Value 1n SYMBOL cap 592 496 R180 WINDOW 0 24 64 Left 0 WINDOW 3 24 8 Left 0 SYMATTR InstName C2 SYMATTR Value 10µ SYMBOL pmos 608 256 M180 SYMATTR InstName M1 SYMATTR Value FDS4559_P SYMBOL voltage 848 16 R0 WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 0 WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0 SYMATTR InstName V1 SYMATTR Value 12 SYMBOL voltage -176 208 R0 WINDOW 3 -144 -152 Left 0 WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 0 WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0 SYMATTR InstName V2 SYMATTR Value PULSE(0 2.5 .001 10u 10u .003 0 1) SYMBOL res 336 -64 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 0 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 0 SYMATTR InstName R7 SYMATTR Value 50k SYMBOL current 912 448 R0 WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 0 WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0 SYMATTR InstName I1 SYMATTR Value PULSE(0 .06 .002 10u 10u .001 0 1) TEXT -184 -8 Left 0 !.tran 0 .010 0 100n

John

Dear John, I know LT Spice (and I noticed it was used here and in sci.electronics.design): it is a wonderful tool, but it has an entirely different goal than FidoCadJ's. The latter for example does not simulate circuits and is more a quite simple 2D vector graphic tool. One of the problems I have is that I can not see the circuit you posted since I am using MacOSX on an old PPC machine and it is not very practical for me to use LT Spice (even if I sometimes need Windows on my Intel-based laptop to use Altium Designer at my work). I believe who is using Linux would experience similar problems. But the point is not entirely that. Other people will appreciate that FidoCadJ is open source and that the format is well documented. On another point of view, we are on Usenet now, but I have seen the FidoCadJ format handled on some forums thanks to FidoReadPHP and I was the first to be surprised by the success it had.

BTW, I still have some step recovery diodes you sent to me a few years ago. I played with them in a sub-nanosecond rise time pulse generator and they were very useful. Thanks again for your help!

Best regards,

Davide

Reply to
Darwin

Unfortunately, engineers are usually forced to run Windows. Too many tools require it.

I'd love to have a really good drawing program, for block diagrams and timing diagrams and general line work. I've been using Visio, which works but is klunky. I've never got around to learning Autocad.

SRDs are great fun, but hard to get. There are only two or three that are stocked parts, available through distribution, namely the MAcom SOT23's, which are a bit slow. Seems like everybody else just stocks wafers and packages parts to order, if you beg and plead enough.

Some other parts are accidental SRDs, like varicap diodes maybe. That would be cool to experiment with some day.

John

That is unfortunately true! It must be said that FidoCadJ is probably less useful for an engineer than to an hobbyist, since an engineer has much more powerful tools for such kind of things. Having said that, I know some engineers who appreciate FidoCadJ too :-)

Probably, FidoCadJ is not a good tool for such kind of things, even if for some quick sketches it may still be useful. For a lot of time, I used Corel Draw (on Windows), then I switched to Open Office Draw, but I find it rather klunky. I should give a try to Inkscape a day or another. FidoCadJ is quite good for preparing schematics meant to be included in documents (CADs such Altium Designer are just horrible for that). I use quite often LaTeX and FidoCadJ drawings can be exported and included via the PGF graphic system. I find it quite satisfying from a typographical point of view. With a WYSIWYG editor like Word, results are less pleasing since you must first export as a PNG image and then include it, but it is still way better than other systems.

I recall that I obtained a few samples from Aeroflex-Metelics and I played with their MMD840 obtaining some 100 ps rise time 10%-90%. It was measured with a 40 GHz sampling oscilloscope, so the measure was a little bit affected by the jitter of the trigger generator.

I have heard that, but I recall that the results I got with some varicap diodes I had in my junk box were not very encouraging. I remember also I was trying some bipolar transistors in their avalanche region, somewhat inspired by a Jim Williams' application note. I did not measured precisely the rise time I got (I believe some

1 ns), but I was intrigued by the non conventional use of very common devices.
Reply to
Darwin

Freelance 4.0 for DOS. Best technical cartoon-drawing program ever made. Runs well under emulation too.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

WOW. You guys are way advanced. I still use Paint to draw schems. Course you have to create the components.......

Reply to
Ron M.

The problem is that Paint is a bitmap based drawing program. This will do only for tracing some low resolution schematics and sketches. Bitmap is OK for retouching photos (well, not with Paint, I guess), but it is not very well suit for schematics. From a typographical point of view, it is way better to use some vector-based drawing program, at least if possible.

Reply to
Darwin

Paint can be pretty effective for the occasional schematic, if you already have the general circuit drawn (on scratch paper, say) and just want to create a decent drawing for publication. The trick is to confine yourself to a single resolution/scale and maintain a "drawing" of individual components: resistor, capacitor, PNP, NPN, diode, op-amp, etc. Then you keep a copy of this drawing open next to the one you are working on. When you want to add a component you select it in the component drawing, and copy-paste it to the target. You can rotate or flip it at that time. Connect as needed with the line-drawing tool, using SHIFT to maintain horizontal and vertical lines.

One advantage of Paint is that you can do pretty much anything you want, without learning a suite of arcane methods for a special-purpose CAD drawing tool. Some of the vector-based CAD tools have pretty crude-looking fonts, for example.

Plus, many folks are already familiar with how to get around in Paint, which counts for a lot if you are only doing an occasional drawing.

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v6.00 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, FREE Signal Generator Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

Using Paint to draw schematics is like transporting lumber using only a bicycle. It's a great stunt and a tremendous workout but it is not very effective or fun.

In our world, a flatbed truck costs as much to purchase and run as does a bicycle, is much faster and easier to drive and gets the job done quickly, correctly and *much* more pleasantly.

My advice: Download LTSpice for free.

Draw effortlessly. Share ideas effectively. Simulate. Export netlists for PCB creation. Enjoy life and leave the sweating to the unenlightened.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On which planet can you buy a flatbed truck for fifty bucks?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

If you want to publish anything decent, you may work at least at a quite high resolution in dpi or instead the result would be not very professional. The result may be OK for a webpage, but probably not for printing.

You may defintely give a try to FidoCadJ instead of Paint. I am involved in the development, so I can not be completely objective, but I heard a lot of people is perfectly happy with it: no arcane methods at all, just very simple drawing primitives and a collection of symbols which can be customized. If you want to retouch your drawings, you may export them in EPS, PDF or SVG and you still have a vector- based representation. Or else, you may export them in PNG or JPEG to obtain a bitmap version, which you may edit in Paint :-) If I am dubious FidoCadJ would represent a valid alternative for someone already using LT Spice, I am quite sure it is much better than Paint even for casual use if you seek a software to draw very quickly an electronic schematic or a simple PCB.

Reply to
Darwin

I've used Paint to put text annotation on bitmaps, but rarely for anything else.

You really need vector graphics for publication. Pictures inevitably get resized to fit the page layout; vector files look fine at any magnification, bitmaps don't. And LTSpice schematics aren't that great looking when printed.

It doesn't have to be fancy stuff--I use Freelance 4.0 for DOS, as I said already, for all my line drawing needs, and have for 20 years. It has zilch support for modern printers, but the old printer drivers produce excellent PostScript, which is easy to convert to anything. Everything I've published since about 1990 has been done with it. There are other simple drawing packages available that produce vector output.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I use paint fairly often to resize bitmaps. It's a lot faster and easier than firing up GIMP.

Reply to
krw

It's a pair of 'similes' Rich.

I was equating the bicycle to MSPaint and the flatbed truck to LTSpice.

Either program costs about nothing, but LTSpice is so much better suited to the purpose of electronic development and idea sharing that it is sad to contemplate someone struggling with MSPaint for those purposes.

Just like attempting to haul lumber on a bicycle. One can do it but one would be wasting one's valuable time.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston