Do they make resistors in values over 10M?

Just out of curiosity. Occasionally I run into a schematic on the web (which means it could be an excellent circuit or something cobbled together by a total amateur like me) that will call for, say, 20Megohms of resistance. I think I once saw an 80Megohm resistor on one.

I note that Futurlec and Jameco only stock resistors up to 10Megohm (in the 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 Watt range). Do resistors of higher value exist? I realize I can buy a bunch of 1-10M resistors and stack them up in series until I have my desired value, but it would be easier to just slap a single resistor in and be done. I wouldn't mind going up into the 1W or 2W range, assuming that the resistors don't start getting too huge.

Do values greater than 10Megohm exist, or are these just series-stacked 'hacks' to make poorly-designed circuits work? (sorry i don't have any schematics handy).

Thanks for any and all..

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

Yes, they make resistors of most any value, even into the Giga Ohms. Resistors beyond 22Megs are not common and are not used in everyday electronics that's why you don't see them in Jameco.

Reply to
Bob Eld

Resistance values beyond 10 Meg are usually constructed differently (long and slender and/or glass encapsulated) than standard resistors to prevent contamination of the package with dirt, moisture, etc from affecting its intended resistance value.

Also keep in mind that circuit boards requiring such resistors must be free of rosin or other materials to keep conductive paths on the board itself from affecting the resistance value required in the circuit.

Dorian

Reply to
Dorian McIntire

Yes, you can get them from Farnells and RS to name just a couple.

Plan on putting thousands of volts across these do you?

You can get them as small as 0805 SMD size from Farnell, 2M2 to 50G!

High values resistors like this are important for many circuits and are designed in, they aren't just hacks.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

--
Many companies make resistors with values far in excess of 10M.

A few examples:

http://www.caddock.com/Online_catalog/Mrktg_Lit/TypeMG.pdf

http://www.ohmite.com/cgi-bin/showpage.cgi?product=v_minimox

http://www.ohmite.com/cgi-bin/showpage.cgi?product=v_rx1m
Reply to
John Fields

I don't think high resistance will be easier to find in higher power ratings, 1W into 10M is more than 3100V and I don't thing many people need that.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

The large-valued resistors I have used were up to 100 Meg, in sealed glass tubes. As others have noted, you have to be pretty careful to actually *get* the indicated value in your circuit, due to leakage. I used to mount them up off the board slightly (some folks used teflon standoffs, but I just made the leads a bit longer). Cleaned the board and resistor after assembly using a solvent to remove handling oils, etc.

The circuits I have seen and used these in are current to voltage electrode preamps, and especially photodiode preamps.

Best regards,

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Reply to
Bob Masta

Digi-Key has Ohmite brand metal oxide film resistors to 5 gigohm (5000 Megohm). I've used resistors as high as 100 Gigohm in photodiode transimpedance amps. Amazingly, such high values are available at 1% tolerance. You can probably series a bunch of smaller values for many applications.

Steve Noll | The Used Hi Tech Equipment Dealer Directory: |

| Peltier Information Directory: |

Steve Noll

As a side note a lot of lower end DMM's will read funky at 10 MOHM and above as this is approaching or exceeding their internal resistance.

phaet> Just out of curiosity. Occasionally I run into a schematic on the web

Reply to
machinamentum

Thanks for the pointers and tips, everyone. Also, thanks to Dorian for the heads up on 'leakage' across the board.

Sometimes I think it'd be wild to throw a 50Megohm+ resistance in the feedback loop of an op-amp in amplification mode. In theory I could get some wild clipping that way, you know, with gains approaching 5000 or more. I suppose you get to a point where it starts looking like an open circuit though, and the opamp refuses to do anything.

Abusing components is fun!

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

It may depend on the op amp, but you ahve what is open loop and closed loop gain. If you remove the feedback resistor you get the open loop gain. This is the maximum gain and it is usually much greater at low freqeuncies than it is at the higher ones. Feed the opamp with a small ammount of signal and it will generate some nice square waves or similar without the feed back resistor. Capacitors and diodes can be added for other effects.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I've tried that (no feedback loop connection at all) with a few (741, TL082, JRC4558D) but iirc all 3 of them fell completely silent when I disconnected it.

I must have been doing something else wrong. I'm also starting to think one of my breadboards is flaky. :-(

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

That's because any real op-amp has a finite offset voltage in the range of microvolts to millivolts, and as soon as you go open-loop the gain in the ballpark of millions immediately slams the output into one rail or another.

You can use an op-amp to make a rather louser comparator by running it open loop (it'll just be really slow compared to a proper comparator).

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Ahh... that makes sense.

Reply to
phaeton

the op-amp won't "refuse" it'll do its best to comply - even without feedback those things don't have infinite gain.

check the data-sheet for the "open loop gain" that's what you'll get with an open circuit.

If you want clipping, a pair of antiparallel diodes in the feedback loop can do it for you without sacrificing as much frequency response as rail-to-rail clipping does.

--

Bye.
   Jasen