diy thermometer sensitivity

Interesting, thanks. Say there is also 'freeze distilation'

Hmm a eutectic mixture is like an azeotrope. (I should go back and learn some chemistry :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yes! I tried it and just got a slush, unable to separate out any flammable liquids. Maybe my freezer was too cold... dunno.

Ooh! Yeah, this mentions solder (tin, lead) forms a eutectic system!

Yes, it's fun =)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

ICBW, but from what I've heard they have no problems with poisonous legal moonshine in New Zealand. Legalizing it means people can freely buy safe equipment with good instructions, instead of improvising.

IMO, the safety argument against letting people make it themselves is bunk. Obviously, some people would still do stupid dangerous things, but that's true with electricity (for example).

--
I have a natural revulsion to any operating system that shows so
little planning as to have to named all of its commands after

I agree with your argument and believe that the US federal gov't was obviously protecting a substantial revenue source and attempting to disingenuously justify that protection using this as an excuse.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Oddly, though, the situation in New Zealand arose because (AIUI) the customs officers asked the government to legalize private distillation because they (in customs) thought it was a waste of their time & money to try to enforce the ban!

--
The three-martini lunch is the epitome of American efficiency.
Where else can you get an earful, a bellyful and a snootful at

--
I agree, but in the beginning, with George Washington's campaign
against the whiskey rebellion in Pennsylvania,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion

it's clear that the US federal government wasn't concerned with
whether home made whiskey is good for you or not, they were intent on
showing that they had the muscle to do whatever they wanted to and
that perpetuating the life, liberty, and happiness of the federal
government was more important than their enforcing our claim to the
same goodies, as attested to by their use of force, instead of
dialogue, to remedy their quandary and abrogate the bill of rights we
fought for, at their aegis.

It's quite different now, since we suck on the glass tit and accept
its milk as gospel.
Reply to
John Fields

out why it works. Is it something like this?

the

1%

Wow.

I'm trying to remember if bit shifts work on negative numbers (for example, if IN - OUT is negative.) Should work, since the sign is the most significant bit, right? It's been too long since I took the assembly language class...

Thanks again.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

--
Kudos, Kiwis. :-)
Reply to

"Farmers who used their leftover grain and corn in the form of whiskey..." oh that's pretty smart!

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

out why it works. Is it something like this?

the

1%

IN - OUT is negative.) Should work, since the sign is the most significant bit, right? It's been too long since I took the assembly language class...

An ASR is equivalent to a signed divide. You have to make sure you have enough empty bits on the right that you don't throw away data when you do the right-shift. That usually involves always left-shifting the ADC data before you start, so there's room for the right shifts.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

It may be easier, faster, and more accurate to just total 64 10 bit readings to get a 16 bit integer, and then use integer math to compare that reading to integer high/low setpoints.

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

Yes you have a point. Probably need to use long ints (32 bits) though because worst case, 2^10 = 1024, 1024 x 64 = 65536 which is > 32737.

Eventually I'll want something more sophisticated than simple on-off.

Y'all are familiar with this kind of stuff, right? Process Control drove me nuts in college. Maybe because our professor didn't explain it very well... ("Why not simply use a thermostat?" lol)

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Did you say you are using Arduino? In which case you are programing in C and the language will take care of the division and sign for you

Reply to
David Eather

Yes, I am, and I know.

I just wanted to clarify if I did do a bit shift to divide by 128, would the sign be preserved if the delta happened to be negative. Apparently the answer is no...

Thanks!

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

sign be preserved if the delta happened to be negative. Apparently the answer is no...

Like most logical bit operations, the sign bit is just another bit.. shift that to the right, and it's gone.

Unless you use some carry operation, the upper bit should be cleared.

P.S. if you are doing multiple machine words for large values, then you need to use the carry flag to include that in the shift for the next machine word.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

that's pretty smart!

Recycling is a good thing.

--
A recent study conducted by Harvard University found that the average
American walks about 900 miles a year. Another study by the AMA found

Ah, the subtleties of AVR arithmetic shifts are a bit beyond me, I think. Thanks though.

Partial C code snapshot:

void loop() { f_reading = f_reading + 0.01 * ( analogRead( THERM_PIN ) - f_reading ); if( (++i % 2500 ) == 0 ){ Serial.print( "Average: " ); Serial.print( f_reading ); Serial.print( " Instantaneous: " ); Serial.print( analogRead( THERM_PIN ) ); Serial.print( "\n" ); ... }

Output: Average: 559.29 Instantaneous: 558 Average: 561.61 Instantaneous: 564 Average: 564.04 Instantaneous: 563 Average: 567.14 Instantaneous: 569 Average: 567.03 Instantaneous: 569 Average: 570.22 Instantaneous: 571 Average: 572.63 Instantaneous: 577 Average: 574.74 Instantaneous: 576 Average: 577.94 Instantaneous: 578 Average: 580.52 Instantaneous: 576

Outputs are very nicely averaged by 2500 iterations. Arduino can do about 5000 iterations per second, and this gives me about two data points per second.

Thanks again,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

In assembler you use the ASR op-code * In "C" the result is implementation defined, check your compiler documentation.

I'd expect "avr-gcc" to get the answer right. which by reading the assember output it appears to do (inefficiently)

(* actually in assmber for a divide by 128 you stash the low bit (high bit of the low byte) move everything right by one byte, shift the low bit back in and ripple up threough the intermediate bytes (if any) and then restore the high byte using ADC and then CMP )

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

ethanol)

at around 78 degrees (seems like the exact number depends on which source you read 78.2? 78.3? 78.5? I give up)

First time I did mashed potatoes up here in Truckee, they came out raw. It takes a full hour. At higher altitudes, it might not be possible without a pressure cooker.

Just speculating, but if you just slowly add heat to a water-alcohol mix, won't the alcohol boil off first? It's sort of self-regulating. I don't know how pure the distillate would be.

After fermenting mixes of sugar, yeast and water, I noticed the liquid woul dn't start to boil until about 95 degrees C, and sometimes the collected di stillate would catch fire, but not usually. If it did catch fire, there wa s a large puddle of water remaining in my saucer. That told me there was s till a lot of water in the distillate.

In a commercial distillation column, they shove a fraction of the distillat e back into the column (the fraction is called the Reflux Ratio) to get pur er alcohol out. This also lowers the temperature inside the column.

Reply to
mrdarrett