Re: How to measure C+stray to 0.01pf

> >has a section about small precison capacitors. Sadly, my copy (which I'd bought before 2002 ) is at home in Sydney, and I can't remember how much it has to say about measuring them. > >It would be hard to get a precision ratio transformer to work well at the sorts of frequencies you'd want to use to measure a 1pF capacitance, but the classic Blumlein centre-tapped transforner bridge would work fine for comparing small capacitors. > >In a national standards laboratory they'd be comparing the unknown capacitor with a Thompson-Lampard calculable capacitor > >
> >It's capacitance depends only on it's length, and typically they measure the length with a laser interferometer. > >The Thompson-Lampard theorem was published in 1956, when both the authors were working for the Australian Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO).

The old AAD meter (available at that time) exhibits about .01pF jitter. If all the OP wanted was .01pF resolution, then that might have been the quickest option.

Sort of takes the fun out of it, however.

RL

Reply to
legg

Supernews goes back to 2003, and Google way before that. archive.org also has a bunch of old SED, back to 2003ish.

Where's the pre-1991 stuff?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Sort of wondering where you're getting the headers from 2002. The only archives I'm currently aware of go back only to 2014 or Pre-1991.

RL

Reply to
legg

Sorry, I thought I'd corrected that to 2004.

Have trouble navigating archive.org for anything looking like a thread-date display. They provide Pre 1991 from the wiseman archive

Never did sign into Google. Probably won't. Is this where Whit3rd is reading old threads?

RL

Reply to
legg

Probably.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Sally had designed her own capacitance meter, and really wanted advice on w hy it wasn't working well. Since she didn't post any details of the circuit , and was worrying about dielectric absorbtion in a polystyrene capacitor, it wasn't the kind of thread that was going to go anywhere useful.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yes, I got the thread with a search on Google Groups... not recalling the circumstances next morning, posted a reply. Noticed the date, tried to un-post, but maybe that's only a Google thing...

The 'wiseman' artchive sounds nifty, gotta try that...

Reply to
whit3rd

Not user friendly. Double-compressed in varying file organization, with many anomalies in data within and without individual archives - every post an individual entity, unsortable by filename as to date or subject.

It would be real project to reorganize the (~html) contents, as any automation has to negotiate the anomalies.

RL

Reply to
legg

I went looking for Win's thread on 0.02ff.. found this,

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I've used these before, especially the 2700A:

Hard to argue with the guys NIST buys secondary standards from...

For those looking for a more practical device...

For fun and giggles, you might like to toy around with FDC1004 or ADC7745/ADC7746

The FDC dev kit is a lot for fun for 49.95/

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

It doesn't help that the original poster was looking for help with measurement to .001pF, not 0.01pF.

RL

Reply to
legg