delay

Is there any easy way to delay an analog signal through a cable by half a second? (without digital conversion)

Reply to
mike7411

Get a really long cable... ;)
Reply to
John Fields

In real life, no. 60,000 miles or so of cable would have a lot of attenuation.

John

a bucket brigade shift register. I am not sure whether they make them anymore.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Sure! Just make the cable 150,000,000 meters long. ;-)

Easy, but not cheap!

Cheers! Rich (P.S.: This is a Joke.)

Reply to
Rich Grise

You make your cables out of vacuum? I tried that once, but they were a bugger to solder. Kept wicking it up. ;-)

Tim

--
Did I really still have that sig?
Reply to

use a really long cable :)

in the past tape-recorder based delay setups have been used

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

If you are looking for an analog delay, but it doesn't have to be cable-based, you might get a good approximation with a Bessel low-pass filter. The idea is that if the phase shift is proportional to frequency, then that is essentially a time delay. A Bessel has that property above its cutoff, but not below or in the transition region. A step response will be smeared, but as far as audibility goes this should work OK, in theory. It does mean you will need a really low cutoff, like 1 Hz or less.

There are also filter characteristics designed especially for this purpose, I just can't think what they are called at the moment. A good text on filters will probably have them.

Best regards,

Reply to
nospam

Nah - air is fine, just put a little ceramic spacer every few miles. Of course, the conductors would have to be neutronium, for the infinite rigidity you'd need, but heck, that's only about 3/16 the distance to the Moon and back! (back-of-the-envelope calc, of course) Or 3 1/2 times around Earth. =:-O

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

pro real to real tape decks can do reverb.

Reply to
crazy frog

a pro reel to reel deck will do it

Reply to
crazy frog

My first response was a bit foggy. I think my "analog filters" brain cell was on coffee break. Here's an better answer:

There are delay-line analog filters, whose main purpose is not to remove frequencies but only to delay them. These are generally found under "All-Pass Filters" in filter texts. They may also be found as "Delay Equalizers". The earliest versions of delay lines were cascaded LC networks, which is essentially what you'd get with the "really long cable" approach others have posted. But with active filters this can be done much more simply, in only a few stages.

The basic all-pass design (first order) looks sorta like a differential op amp stage with the incoming signal fed to both the inverting and non-inverting inputs. There are the usual identical feedback and inverting input Rs, but where the diff amp would have idenitical non-inverting input and ground Rs (voltage divide by 2), the all-pass has instead an RC, either low-pass of high-pass.

2nd order stages are a bit more involved, but not much different from an active low-pass 2nd order.

The basic strategy is to design a low-pass filter with a (typically) Bessel response, then apply a "transformation" to get new values for the Rs and Cs in the all-pass design. Besides Bessel, there are Linear Phase and Equiripple Error approaches to the same goal, which is to have a phase shift that varies linearly with frequency.

A good reference for this is "Electronic Filter Design Handbook" by Arthur B. Williams. My copy is 1981; there may be a later edition by now.

Best regards,

Bob Masta

Reply to
nospam

An analog delay inherently stores information. If the delay is, say, 1 second and you want CD-audio quality, it stores the equivalent of over

700K bits, whether it's a digital or an analog network. So one way to evaluate any delay device is to ask if it can store this many bits.

John

Reely?
Reply to
John Fields

yeh reely so what are you going to do about it

Reply to
crazy frog

--
I already did it, imbecile.
Reply to

watch it arsehole, i know youre web site, and funkin shut you down.

Reply to
crazy frog

inetnum: 203.164.96.0 - 203.164.255.255 netname: ATHOME-AU descr: @Home Network Australia descr: @Home Network Australia intial HE and descr: Infrastructure allocations country: AU admin-c: OI3-AP tech-c: OI3-AP remarks: For abuse issues, please email snipped-for-privacy@optushome.com.au mnt-by: APNIC-HM mnt-lower: MAINT-AU-ATHOME changed: snipped-for-privacy@apnic.net 20000619 changed: snipped-for-privacy@apnic.net 20000901 changed: snipped-for-privacy@apnic.net 20010720 changed: snipped-for-privacy@apnic.net 20020319 status: ALLOCATED PORTABLE source: APNIC role: Optus Internet address: Level 3, 11 Help Street address: Chatswood, NSW 2067 country: AU phone: +61-2-9027-1127 fax-no: +61-2-9027-1035 e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@optus.com.au trouble: Send spam/abuse reports to snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.com.au admin-c: OI1-AP tech-c: OI1-AP nic-hdl: OI3-AP notify: snipped-for-privacy@optus.com.au mnt-by: MAINT-AU-OPTUSINTERNET changed: snipped-for-privacy@optus.com.au 20040502 changed: snipped-for-privacy@apnic.net 20041020 changed: snipped-for-privacy@apnic.net 20041020

Reply to
Pooh Bear

watch it arsehole, i know youre web site, i know where you are. or i will have you shut you down.

*imbecile* John Fields

more like a pro f*****ad.

Reply to
crazy frog

--- Yawnnnnn....

Weren't you around here a while back and left when you got your ears pinned back so severely you couldn't stand it?

What makes you think it's going to go any better for you this this time around?

You're obviously still as stupid as you were the first time around, so what are you going to threaten to do this time that you can _really_ pull off? Other than your pud, that is.

And, I see you're still posting through Google, you pathetic loser.

Why don't you just go away and save yourself some grief, troll?

BTW, I've posted a picture of you I found on the web to:

news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields