dc motors questions

Hello- I am working on an electric skateboard project, and am having trouble with a few things. I have 2 12V motors rated at 10,000 rpms so I am assuming they are series wound. I am wondering if it's possible to wire these motors in series so that I can use a 24v speed control, which is really inexpensive on ebay. Also, most of the 24v controllers use a Hall effect throttle, but can that be used on a motor that doesn't have hall effect sensors? I picked up these motors at American Science & Surplus for 7 bucks each, I've connected them to a 12v battery and they run great, but now I need to control the speed. I'm not the brightest guy around but I'm not quite stupid either... Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
davittlaptop

My guess would be permanent magnet field. Do the cases attract a screw driver with a permanent magnet field, when the motors are unpowered?

It might well be possible. But if they don't turn at the same speed, they will not divide the total voltage, equally. That is not necessarily a bod thing, since they will produce nearly equal torque. This acts sort of like two wheels connected by a differential gear.

I am not familiar with a hall effect throttle.

Reply to
John Popelish

It might be easier to reconfigure the controller to 12 volts. Or buy the right thing from

or similar.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson