Darlington readings

Testing a 2SD711A. B-E reads 0.25v drop in both directions. Normally I?d throw it in the trash but looking at the equivalent schematic I see a resistor paralleling each B-E junction. Would a healthy device give a v-drop in reverse polarity like I?m seeing?

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

** Yes, if tested with a typical DMM.

Apply a current of say 10mA from B to E and see what you get.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

What value should I monitor while doing this?

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

The voltage drop. However I am not so sure 10 mA is enough.

Bottom line, I think it is good.

Maybe the spec sheet gives the value of the shunt resistors. If it is reading what the spec says it is probably good.

Reply to
jurb6006

With 11 ma: forward biased: 1.1v, reverse: 1.8.

Being 2 junctions it looks like the 1.1 is spot on. Spec sheet doesn?t say shunt values.

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

** 1.8 divided by 0.011 gives 164 ohms for the two.

One will be larger then the other, like 120 ohms for the driver and 40 ohms for the output.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

eading

Those readings sound good. The fact that they differ based on polarity is a good sign. The problem I have is that means the total shunt resistance (wh ich is in series) is low.

The spec sheet says at 6 volts Vebo, Iebo is 50 mA. In a normal transistor this is a leakage spec. but in this case it should tell us the value of tho se resistors. So 6 / 0.05 = 120.

With the 1.1 forward, it is likely good. The EB junction is not open. I ass ume you checked the BC junction and found it open one way and a diode the o ther way. The whole thing is not shorted nor open, the odds are 99.9 % this is a good part.

This is a switching transistor. Not the greatest but good enough for some t hings. Still maintains 50 HFE at 15 amps with Vce 1.5 volts. Back when that thing probably came out is was considered pretty good.

Now, what to do with it ?

Reply to
jurb6006