CURRENT AND VOLTAGE

Why there exists phase difference between current and voltage?

Reply to
BBC

ELI the ICEman cometh!

Reply to
Abi Normal

Plz make me understand.....

Reply to
BBC

Voltage across a capacitor cannot change instantaneously. Current has to change first. Therefor, I (current), in a C(apacitor), comes before E (voltage).

Current through an inductor cannot change instantaneously. Voltage has to change first. Therefor E (voltage), in an L(inductance) changes before I (current).

The old[*] ELI the ICE man.

[*] old == from the days when ice was delivered to the door.
Reply to
krw

Grocery and liquor stores may still have an Eli.

Reply to
Abi Normal

te:

Thank you for helping me out.

Reply to
BBC

Sorry you didn't like my response. :-(

Reply to
Abi Normal

Reactance.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

@rich:can u tell me how the reactance is responsible for phase difference?

Reply to
BBC

Reactance is not responsible for a phase change. Reactance of a capacitor and reactance of an inductor have units of ohms.

A google search for "reactance is responsible for phase difference?" found this link:

That resource is approved.

Reply to
Globemaker

--
It most certainly is.
Reply to

Globemaker Inscribed thus:

Now try reading the next page !

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

I _can_, but I think you're either supposed to get that from your textbook or your teacher.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

--- @BBC:

Here, I'll take crack at it:

When a voltage is applied across a conductor and charge starts to flow, a magnetic field is generated around the conductor which causes a voltage to be generated in the conductor which opposes the applied voltage.

This opposition is in addition to the ohmic resistance of the conductor, and is called "Inductive reactance" or, written symbolically, "Xl" (X sub L)

Now, since time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once, the magnetic field doesn't build up instantaneously and, as a consequence, as the voltage across the inductance varies, the current through it won't fall in step.

Do you understand?

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

You know, I think the best way to understand about R, C and L might be to build circuits and measure things with 'scopes. (and the proper scope probes) But I can't remember every doing that in college.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Instead of investing all that time and all those resources, why not just use SPICE?

--
JF
Reply to

Think about a capacitor charging through a resistor. When you apply the voltage, the capacitor starts charging with maximum current and minimum voltage across the capacitor. As time passes, the capacitor voltages increases while the current decreases, since the voltage across the resistor becomes less and less, and so does the capacitor current. So, the current and voltage of the capacitor are out of phase, since one will reach a maximum at the same time the other reaches a minimum. The capacitor voltage reaches a maximum when the current is zero, and visa versa. That's 90 degrees. The inductor is the opposite, where current starts at zero and rises, while the voltage across the inductor falls.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Hmm, Yeah the difference between a simulation and real life. No arc's when you unplug the coil at full current in the simulation.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Confucius say: I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

--
Arc is???

Take a look at the top of the coil for a clue. ;)

Version 4
SHEET 1 880 680
WIRE 208 208 96 208
WIRE 304 208 288 208
WIRE 416 208 384 208
WIRE 416 256 416 208
WIRE 96 272 96 208
WIRE 224 272 224 256
WIRE 96 384 96 352
WIRE 224 384 224 352
WIRE 224 384 96 384
WIRE 272 384 272 256
WIRE 272 384 224 384
WIRE 416 384 416 336
WIRE 416 384 272 384
WIRE 96 464 96 384
FLAG 96 464 0
SYMBOL voltage 96 256 R0
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 0
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName V1
SYMATTR Value 10
SYMBOL voltage 224 256 R0
WINDOW 0 -53 5 Left 0
WINDOW 3 -242 110 Invisible 0
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 0
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName V3
SYMATTR Value PULSE(0 1 1 1E-6 1E-6 10)
SYMBOL sw 304 208 M270
WINDOW 0 32 15 Left 0
WINDOW 3 32 44 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName S1
SYMBOL res 400 192 R90
WINDOW 0 -35 56 VBottom 0
WINDOW 3 -30 58 VTop 0
SYMATTR InstName R1
SYMATTR Value 1
SYMBOL ind 400 240 R0
SYMATTR InstName L1
SYMATTR Value 10
TEXT 104 408 Left 0 !.model SW SW(Ron=1 Roff=1e9 Vt=0.5Vh=0)
TEXT 102 440 Left 0 !.tran 20 startup
Reply to
John Fields