connect simple button through rs-232

Hello. I want to send a signal through serial connection by pressing simple button. (I use vvvv software which operates rs-232). I am newbie in physical computing things, so I rather show you pictures, which will explain my problem.

fig 1. (serial connection)

fig 2. (button)

how do i connect this button to serial connections, so it will work for me? Whould I use resistor or something? Or maybe I have to use some additional chip? Sorry if questions is lame, but haven't done that before.

Any advice would be very helpful for me.

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
jimmi

Since you have only one button, I'd connect it across an output like DTR on pin

4 and input like DSR on pin 6. It won't swing +v to -v but as it should but many devices, especially laptops, don't adhere to the standard.

The status register will be what you read for the button push.

Connector pin assignments

Specific instructions from a similar box + software to ease the task

com1 is at 3F8, its status register is + 4 ports from there or 3FC...Windows generally make direct port manipulations difficult.

Another good place to visit is Jan Axelson's page, I'd recommend you buy her book.

Reply to
Lord Garth

I've done something similar making a simple rotation counter. I connected the RTS to a 10k resistor, then to the switch, and then to then Rx pin. When ever the switch made contact, jibberish was put in the serial port input buffer. My program checked the input buffer on a periodic basis to see if anything was in the buffer. If there was anything in the buffer, the switch had made conact. If the buffer was empty, then no switch action.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

hello so it worked for me when i connected 4 and 2 pins together. you can see details of the progress here:

thanks a lot, jim

Reply to
barenospam