Ceramic capacitor polarity trick

Thanks for the advice. I haven't used these group forums ever, so I was unsure what to expect when I checked back. I can't believe the amount of responses I see. Now I will try to explain a little further.

What my application calls for is the use of a ceramic chip (size and temperature characteristics are attractive), to filter high frequency switching noise. What I do not like about them is that they are almost too fast. Fast response times are passing too much current during low voltage - high current demand times. When an electolytic is used, the current through the cap is attenuated considerably (especially in the reverse direction). It's almost as if the "laziness" of the electrolytic is what I desire. I have done a few experiments with adding a bit of esr on the ceramic, and that does help. However, I really think that if there was a way to polarize a non-polarized capacitor, I could more effectively block that reverse current. I could be way off of course because that happens quite a lot, but it never hurts to think a little unconventionally. Thanks for all of the help.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Carson

Yes, I understand your concerns and I have read many of the answers you have received and it is quite obvious that these people do not understand the real problem in the way that we might. Perhaps what you are missing is the concept of low frequency electrochemistry. As you will know electrolytic capacitors need to be fromed before they can be sold to the general community for use in their low technology equipment. Obviously the process of froming requires energy and, in as much as an electrolytic capacitor can be fromed it can also be unfromed. I have personally saved my company lots of money by unfroming electrolytic capacitors where they have been put in the 'wrong' way. It is very important to understand the energies required for unfroming as well as the electrochemistry involved. If you exceed the unfroming energy that is available from the electrochemistry per normalised time then you will damage the capacitor you are trying to unfrome and not recover its full perfromance. You are quite right to believe that there should be a way to make MLCC capacitors frome and unfrome in the same way but I am sure that you will not find the answer here.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

In message , dated Mon, 7 Aug

2006, Genome writes

Indeed; it's only available at a secret location in Somerset, England.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

John Woodgate wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk:

It had me wondering too. A small river of that name disappears not half a mile away from me. I am in Somerset right now, almost.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Somerset? Somernot.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I live a few miles from Norwalk, CA and all I can think of when I see the signs is "Neither run, Norwalk." ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In message , dated Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Rich Grise writes

Have you seen this thing going round the net about a racehorse called 'Norfolk and Chance'?

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

John Woodgate wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk:

Wear the fox hat?

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

No, but I've heard of "Hoof Hearted".

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The Fugawi Indians got it. ;-)

--
Cheers!
Rich^H^H^H^HBoBo

Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

My understanding of the physical forming processes of MLCC does not permit polarization.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Yeah, it may work. Call me cautious until someone can convincingly explain the physics. Any takers?

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

At zero bias, a 0-ohm jumper performs even better.

John