Butane soldering irons

Hi, I was just wondering if you could use lighter fluid butane in gas soldering irons or if you had to buy the ultra pure stuff from maplin to avoid damaging the catalyst. Is it just the same stuff ?

Cheers,

Bruce.

Reply to
BJaY

I do - it works OK, seems a little bit more "hungry" i.e. the gas seems to be used more quickly but that might be my imagination

Reply to
feebo

In message , BJaY writes

Depends which type, we used to use the Weller Pyropen (excellent for reworking SMDs on a budget) and they fail regularly if you don't use the pure stuff but it's a close run thing as to whether it's cheaper to run them on lighter gas and replace the ejector every 10 tanks of gas or buy the 'proper' fuel and have to replace the ejector less often.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

Cheers, it's just for around the house stuff, using cheap gas sounds like a big false economy if parts are going to have to be replaced, I'll get a can of the expensive stuff.

Bruce.

Reply to
BJaY