Book recommendations

Hey all:

What we need here is a good list o' books. They should be practical, general, have gentle learning curves, and have just enough theory to explain things right (no mathematical proofs...MEGO). They should be reasonably available. I'm suggesting my two favorites, "The Art of Electronics", by Horowitz and Hill, and the ARRL handbook (it's not just for hams, ya know).

What say all?

Reply to
Art

An old used copy of Reference Data for Radio Engineers, common on ebay.

Don Lancaster's Active Filter Cookbook. Still in print, cheap.

The old National Linear Applications books. ebay.

John

It would be a great advantage if we could find the same information on the web, so we could give the beginner a list of good links he can use to learn the basics of electronics.

I think there is enough texts about the basics on the web, the problem is that nobody has made a list, an index, of the best web sites, so they can be studied in a systematic manner.

The ARRL Handbook is available in most public libraries in the industrialized world. The library usually has some books about elementary electronics too, which can be used as a complement to the courses we can find on internet.

The US Navy book about basic electronics, which is available on the web, is also a good resource. (I forgot the url, but it shouldn't be too hard to find)

--
Roger J.
Reply to

People got by for decades and decades without the web, so it's ridiculous to expect everything to be "on the web". Books have a lot of advantage, it's a lot easier to keep a book open when working on a project than keeping an internet connection, and you can actually read them whenever you like, rather than glance at them when you're at the computer.

Anyone who doesn't spend some money on books about electronics is not interested in the field. If they can't afford them, then there's that old style "web", the library, with "webpages" called books, which people can't take out once they join the library.

And a big mistake people make is that everything should be on the web. But that requires effort, without much compensation. It will be rare to see something as extensive and large as a book about electronics on the web. Looking at the questions here these past ten years, it's often clear that much that is online is mere copies of old material, often taken out of context because someone just puts the schematic online. That's why we get all kinds of questions about now obscure parts, because someone has copied that wireless microphone from that

1964 GE Transistor Manual, but the person seeing the schematic doesn't know that it's that old since it's just the schematic, and is wondering where to get that tunnel diode. Even if putting stuff on the web was about illegal copying of old material, it takes effort to scan old stuff. Newer material is much more likely to be there, since it is now created in electronic form.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Roger J.
Reply to
Roger Johansson

Here is a list of books I found tonight . . .

Good site for beg> Hey all:

Reply to
JamesB