Antena that can sense thermal Radiation from human body

The power received by an antenna due to thermal radiation is KTB, where K is Boltzmann's constant, T is the antenna noise temperature in K and B is bandwidth in Hz. Since Boltzmann's constant is very small (1.3806503E-23) the power due to thermal noise is received by the antenna is very small.

The antenna noise temperature is the average of the noise temperature of everything the antenna 'sees' weighted by the antenna gain in that direction.

Therefore you want a highly directional antenna so that the antenna beamwidth is completely filled by the person. You also want a wide bandwidth so as to maximise the power received. A dish antenna is therefore probably a good choice.

The temperature of people is about 300K. Assuming an antenna bandwidth of 1 GHz you should get about:

1.38E-23 * 300* 1e9 = 4.14e-12 W = -83.8 dBm

You will not be able to see that on an oscilloscope. To get it up to a detectable level you want a low noise, high gain amplifier after the antenna, then feed the output of the amplifier to a power detector and smooth the output of the power detector with a low pass filter. Now point your antenna at something with a very low noise temperature (the sky is good for this, about 10k) and record the output voltage after the low pass filter. Now point your antenna at a person - you should see a small change in output voltage.

Another problem you have trying to detect thermal radiation from people is that the background also emits thermal radiation, often at a very similar level.

I don't know what that signal you saw on your CRO was, but it doesn't sound like thermal radiation. It could be some sort of interference which is being picked up more efficiently by the antenna.

To reply to me directly:

Replace privacy.net with: totalise DOT co DOT uk and replace me with
gareth.harris
Reply to
Gareth

The same way an IR sensor does it. Infra Red and radio waves are both electromagnetic radiation. As you rightly said, all objects above absolute zero emit IR but they also emit radio waves and, if they are hot enough, visible light.

It is a lot easier to use IR sensors, but if you have a sensitive enough system you can do it at microwave and RF frequencies as well.

To reply to me directly:

Replace privacy.net with: totalise DOT co DOT uk and replace me with
gareth.harris
Reply to
Gareth

"Gareth the Pommy Jerk Off" "

( snip pile of excremental drivel )

** What drugs are you on - imbecile ?

A massive overdose of Google Drops ??

All swallowed whole without a tiny drop of comprehension.

Who do you think you are kidding ?

Lemme tell ya - it is nobody.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:56:14 +0000, Gareth Gave us:

I DOUBT VERY SERIOUSLUY that in our world's RF RICH environment, that you or anyone else will be sensing body temperature related events from an RF antenna anytime soon. The "signal" if any is so far below the baseline noise that you will not be able to pick it out, if it exists at all.

That is what IR detectors (resistor bolometers) and IR Imagers (CCDs and CMOS arrays) are for. And even those need cooling to reduce noise for high sensitivity applications. Many also need spectral filtering.

DOH!

Reply to
MassiveProng

It has been done, by me and lots of other people

Gareth

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 14:53:31 +0000, Gareth Gave us:

But what you sense are local RF reflections and amplifications, not the temperature or any emission from the nearby test mass.

Same reason why an AM radio tunes differently while in your hand than after setting it down. That is why an AM radio tuned via remote locks onto the station better than hand tuning, and then walking away.

Reply to
MassiveProng

The links I posted refer to systems which detect the thermal noise emitted by the object itself. Measurements of thermal radiation emitted at microwave and mm wave, as well as IR, are well established techniques for remote sensing from satellites. The techniques have more recently been applied to the detection of people for security applications.

I'm aware of that effect, but the actual thermal radiation emitted by a person can also be detected at microwave frequencies with suitable equipment.

To reply to me directly:

Replace privacy.net with: totalise DOT co DOT uk and replace me with
gareth.harris
Reply to
Gareth

"Gareth"

** Thermal radiation at mm wavelengths is emitted by ANY OBJECT you ass.

The IR spectrum contains more energy and so has long been easiest to detect.

The rest if the MARKETING craopolgy you posted links to is about mm wavelength RADAR !!

Like I said before - what drugs are you on ?

A massive overdose of Google Drops ??

All swallowed whole without a tiny drop of comprehension.

Who do you think you are kidding - f****it ?

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Isn't that what I said in my post at 14:01 on 18 March 2007

I also said IR was easier, See my post at 14:01 on 18 March 2007

Did you actually read any of them? The first two are PASSIVE, which means that they don't transmit - it's not about radar. The last one can be either active or passive.

"QinetiQ developed BorderwatchTM using its patented passive Millimetre Wave technology to enable the detection of clandestines."

"Roke?s solution was to make PandoraTM a passive sensing system using radiometry."

"Tadar may be configured as either a passive or active imaging system"

Reply to
Gareth

** All posts appear with local times attached - f****it.

There is no " person " detector.

** All posts appear with local times attached - f****it.

There is no " person " detector.

** All marketing PUKE.

All UTTERLY irrelevant to the OP's question - f****it.

** Do you see the word ** rest ** ??

The " rest " is what is left over !!!!!!!!

Like I said before - what drugs are you on ?

A massive overdose of Google Drops ??

All swallowed whole without a tiny drop of comprehension.

Who do you think you are kidding - f****it ?

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison