Alternative power source for bicycle headlight and rear light

Charged, yes (about ten year lifetime is advertised). But they won't survive frequent full discharge events.

I used a small generator on the bike, just let it run day (commute to work) and night (with lamp on, coming home from work). On schedule, after a decade or so, the battery needed replacement.

Reply to
whit3rd

I discarded using solar cells because they require pointing at the sky

- eminently practical for a stationary charging station (mounted on a garage or shed roof for instance) but less practical for a take-anywhere supply of power.

I did have pretty good success keeping my motorcycle battery topped up by taping a flexible PV panel to the gas tank. It was good for ~100 milliamps, not enough to charge the battery, but enough to combat self-discharge (if I remembered to park in the sunlight).

Reply to
default

Interesting and helpful info.

Have a great day, Andy