AC Synchronous motor cap calculation

Is there a way to calculate the value of starter capacitor for a reversible synchronous motor if I know the resistance and inductance of the windings. The motor has R=920ohm +/- 10%, L=1.5mH+/-20%, Detent torque 1.4 OZ-IN (9.89 m-Nm) Can I calculate the value of appropriate capacitor that will give me proper operation at 50Hz. This motor works fine at 60Hz with 0.68uF cap. Thanks for reading.

Reply to
learnfpga

it seems to me that using a cap 20% larger would be right - add a

0.15uF in parallel.

you may also need to reduce the supply voltage so that the metal in the stator doesn't saturate.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Thanks for the reply Jasen. However I tried running the motor with as much as 1.6uF and also reduced the supply voltage to about 100V for the same reason as you mentioned above. However it did not work for 50Hz. Now I am thinking either manufacturer is bullshitting or I am doing something terribly wrong. Anyways any inputs from people would be most welcome. Thanks

Reply to
learnfpga

What's the AC source you're using? is it a nice smmoth sine wave or something else?

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts