AC Powered LED Circuits

--
Then I suggest you take a look at your line voltage which, if high,
could be responsible for the failures.  After all, compact fluorescent
manufacturers aren't in the free replacement business.
Reply to
John Fields

I am interested in making my own AC powered LED lighting.

I have replaced all my incandescents with the Home Depot style compact flourescents. I was surprised on how short lived they all are. I am tired of going back and forth to replace them (free exchange).

I am also looking for a 3 way lamp LED lighting diagrams for all my table lamps. I would like the same 30-60-100 watt lighting output as the compact flourescents

Thank you

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

--- Somebody over on sed (I think) suggested you try finding out whether you're mounting them in the proper orientation. Tried that yet?

Also, you ought to crosspost to the relevant groups instead of doing it with separate posts, so I'll do it now to save you the trouble.

-- John Fields

Reply to
John Fields

Been that route. 121VAC isn't exactly high. Plus we have whole house ZapCap surge protection.

Jim Rojas

of

compact

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I have had the same issues as you. I was especially annoyed with the slow brightening of the bulbs. I recently got some bulbs from Commercial Electric (at Home Depot). They advertise "instant on". They work great - they come on to full brightness immediately. I don't know about the longevity yet.

BRW

Reply to
Bennet Williams

I have all the 3 way lamps units mounted with the bulb facing upwards. Which is the only way it can be mounted.

I have some hall & bedroom bulbs mounted sideways, and with the bulb facing down in the all the closets...so it seems to make no difference how they are mounted. They still blow out way before the 5 year guarantee...Then I have a few that start off dim, then gradually get brighter the longer it stays on...annoying. :)

I have tried Walmart & Home Depot...GE, Sylvannia, no name...no luck.

Jim Rojas

ZapCap

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Radio spares in the uk have some nice looking high flux led units:

http://www.niftybits.ukfsn.org/

remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.
Reply to
andy

I think it might be a turn-on-turn-off issue. In and apt. I lived in a few years ago, they had one outside the door of each apartment, like rows of porch lights in the hallway. In 5 years of living there, I saw the maint. guy change one. But they're on 24/7. He seemed to indicate that 5 years wasn't unusual at all.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The porch light I have outside uses a replaceable 4 tube bulb with a built in photoelectric sensor. I installed the fixture about 11 years ago. I have only replaced the bulb once in all that time. This is totally acceptable...It's the screw on type I am having a problem with. I don't think they dissipate heat evenly enough, and may cause the glass to to weaken, then fracture.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas