AC Cap Dropper DC Power Supply

I know you're a pimp, but I don't think you're dense... just a dense asshole. That's not the real circuit. I walked you thru that this morning. Now go away. ...Jim Thompson

I said in plain English that a series resistor might be appropriate. In some cases, like a clean low-voltage AC source, it might not be needed. I've done lots of voltage-doubler type supplies with no series R.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

It's what you "wound up with." It's stupid, so now you say it's "not the real circuit." Of course, you won't reveal the "real" circuit... it's proprietary.

Or more likely it doesn't exist. Or it's full of bugs, too.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Quote Jim:

"That's not the real circuit."

"Once I decide on a configuration..."

So, no good ideas yet? This is awfully simple; what's wrong?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

incandescent lamp in series, drops back down to low R afterwards, keeps every one happy :)

Actually, a depletion mode mosfet inseries with a network can act as a current limiter, give you low Ron values when not hitting the current wall. That should make the heat radiator police happy.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

--
In this instance, since you identified the input as "AC LINE" and the
thread is about mains driven current limited supplies, your

Also, the cleanliness of the source has very little to do with what
will happen when the mains gets switched into the load at different
angles.
Reply to
John Fields

All you do is whine.

Hey, the Blue Angels are buzzing the building. I'm headed for the roof.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

All you do is run.
Reply to
John Fields

Could also be signs of boredism?

John Fields

Could also be signs of boredism?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

JF
Reply to
John Fields

ferroresonant transformer- they're peculiar beasts.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

--
Ferroresonant?
Reply to

Ferroresonant!

Not sure anybody cares, but the P3 killawatt meter uses cap shunter power supply. Those thigs have no memory, so if you lose power you lose all your logged data.

I figured, easy, I'll toss a supercap in there, no big deal, and who cares if the display stays on.

Of course that never worked as the current from that power supply was close to nothing and unable to charge the cap in the first place. Even being plugged in for days didn't help as the leakage probably exceeded what the watt meter itself used.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Years ago at a hamfest booth, I had a vendor begging me to take one off his table. It weighed about 50 lbs, he was down to $9. It was closing time. I didn't get it. It would still be in my storage. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I swear to god I would never do business with either of you two. You both act like 12 year olds and right here in full public view.

Simply amazing...

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Ferroresonant.

--
JF
Reply to

--
No timely reply?

Could it be that, as usual, you dodge the issue when you finally wake
up and find yourself with your foot in your mouth?

I think so.

Post a schematic to prove me wrong instead of your incessant blather.
Reply to
John Fields

that.

custom

I suspect that JT never got a c-dropper circuit that works. His first two tries were duds.

He's not very good once he gets off-chip.