AC Adaptor can work as a charger

There were some that thought that an AC adaptor could not be used sucessfully as a battery charger.

My experiment results:

A sealed lead battery (UB1213) with an initial voltage of 9.7 V was charged to a final voltage of 12.6 V using a 500 m.a. AC/DC adaptor.

Took about an hour.

A phone recorder was hooked up and tested using only the 12 Volt battery as it's power source.

Answered and recorded messages flawlessly.

I have another 12 V adaptor that only puts out 200 m.a.

Do you think that would be too much current to keep the battery charged?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mint

"Mint"

** That is nothing like fully charged - pal .

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I found your answer to be cryptic.

Andy

Reply to
Mint

"Mint" "Phil Allison" "Mint"

I found your answer to be cryptic.

** Full charge on a 12 volt, SLA battery requires the terminal voltage to rise to 13.8 volts or more and the charging current to fall to a low value. 12.6 volts is no where near the end of charge point.

BTW

You related to that guy on TV called " Sheldon " ??

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

My car was dead in my garage, head-in, and it would be an uphill push to get it out to jump from another car. The battery was flat dead, zero volts, and the stupid electronic charger that I bought wouldn't put any current into it [1]. So I found an old 24 volt wall-wart from an ancient modem, put a resistor in series, and hooked that up. The right resistor turned out to be a belt sander. The car started after an overnight charge.

John

[1] they are apparently designed to not charge a dead battery.

Glad you got it going.

Andy

Reply to
Mint

e.

This answer is good.

Andy

Reply to
Mint

Now I keep a Lascar power supply in the garage. It's handy for all sorts of things.

John

A AC to AC adapter can not be used.

When you magical make DC then you can.

--
pim.
Reply to

So what's a DC adapter?

I'd guess if the term was used, it would be an inverter running off the car battery to supply some higher voltage.

In other words, the "DC" refers to the input, not the output.

Same with "AC adapters", it defines something that runs off the

120V or so AC coming out of the wall. ONe might even specifically consider them to be small units, often with the AC line plug built into it.

And once you have that, the rest doesn't matter. Some have AC output (ie they are just a transformer), some have rectifiers (ie rippled DC), some have the rectifiers and filter capacitor, and some have all that plus regulation of some sort. SOme don't even have a 120V transformer, they are switching supplies.

Hence that Ikea Halogen lamp I have on my desk, the AC adapter has AC output for the bulb. The AC adapter for my Grundig shortwave radio has rectification, and perhaps some level of filter capacitor built in. My decent nimh charger is a switching supply, obviously it does put out DC. The Commodore 64 AC adapter had +5, +12 and maybe a -12V output, plus

9VAC to run the clock.

But they are all "AC adapters" since they run off 120VAC from the wall (unless you want to go for semantics and consider the C64 unit more like a "external power supply" due to its larger size.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

From my post.

This means that the INPUT =3D 120 Volts Alternating Current that is produced by an Electric Utility using natural gas, wind, nuclear, fuel oil, coal, and lignite.

Texas has lots of lignite BTW. :-)

AND

OUTPUT =3D approx. 13.0 Volts Direct Current.

Reply to
Mint

I can use some help with another issue.

The 200 m.a. AC/DC adaptor did not supply enough current to keep the battery charged all the way.

Battery specs

Standby use =3D .195 amps Cyclic use =3D .39 amps

Would 500 m.a. be sufficient ?

Andy

Reply to
Mint