A portable 220 volt recepticle

There was a past letter on Goggle regarding one's idea of making a 220 volt portable recepticle. Single phase yet this was not specified. It was too old for me to respond directly. The problem with the proposed solution was that he proposed something very dangerous; His example was to create 110 volt cords with male ends at both ends to feed the 220 volt box, This is not just dangerous but INSANELY DANGEROUS. In my design which I have not implemented yet, I would feed the 220 volt plug/box with two regular 12 guage three conductor 50 foot extension cords. The box would have 2 to 3 foot male ended three conductor cords-plugs, There would be no open live circuit(s), no bleed through current to the other cord as the box is wired correctly. Two things I would like to implement in the box: Phase lighting indicating A circuit to B or vice versa B to A, that they are 180* out of Phase with each other. The second thing is a two way heavy duty switch to chose from which Ground I'll be using, Switched only before power up. I know there's only one common ground, but there may be unforseen reasons Ione may need this variable in the box. This is for a welder, then a 220 volt wired radial, table or mitre type saw or jack hammer for building. On the cords I plan to upgrade to 10 guage fifty footers, Love that new yellow 10G cord at Lowes. Your electrical or electronics expertise will be appreciated. Pete

Reply to
scandi

Yes, that is insanely dangerous. It is theoretically doable, with a huge pile of safety precautions and disclaimers, but if you do actually do anything that stupid and burn your house down, the insurance company won't pay off and you'll still owe on the mortgage.

And if you're renting, you could end up in prison.

Or, of course, in either case, dead, from electrocution or incineration.

Don't do it. Wire a proper 220V outlet, or better yet, have one installed by a real electrician.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Reply to
scandi
** Insane Google Groper Alert !!!

** That is COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE !!!

With a load device connected to the proposed box and ONE of the two cords plugged in - the other then has a live exposed pin.

EXTREMELY dangerous and ILLEGAL.

FORGET IT !!!!!!!!!!

....... Phil

Reply to