555 timer circuit

--
Check s.e.d. and, next time, crosspost.
Reply to
John Fields

I'm trying to build a 555 or 556 timing circuit that creates a 5 second pulse to activate a small reed relay once every 5 or 6 minutes. Can anyone help me with that? Thank You. John

Reply to
John Winstead

Here's a circuit to do it.

A simple 555 astable cannot give a duty cycle of under 50%. Your requirement is for about 2% (1/60). However, a standard astable with any of the combinations below gives an output that is approximately 5s low and 5 mins high. You then simply invert that, or (easier) use a reed relay which gives the required action, as shown in my schematic. IOW, instead of using normally open contacts, use normally closed or vice-versa as appropriate to your intended application.

You didn't specify voltage supply. I've assumed 12V, but the identical circuit is good for 5 - 15V.

If you want reasonable precision, ensure Ct is a good quality, low leakage cap. Use a pot or preset in series with one or both timing resistors to adjust High and Low times by trial and error if you wish.

Ct R(Upper) R(Lower) --- ------ -------- 82uF 5.2M 88k 47uF 10.0M 154k 100uF 4.7M 72k 220uF 2.2M 33k 330uF 1.3M 22k 470uF 1.0M 15k

1000uF 470k 8k
--
Terry Pinnell