555: strategies for series step-up transformers

(snip)

There is probably not much point in going any further with this post, till I understand, better, what you are describing here. It sounds like you are getting poor performance from the first transformer, and I don't understand how you are connecting the second one. Please try to help me understand the details of the 555 to transformer connections and the way you are trying to connect the second transformer.

--
John Popelish
Reply to

Hi all,

My projects involve rectified 1500-2000 volt power supplies with only modest power requirements, around 500 mW max.

I am interested in tying together identical transformers from the same manufacturer to get kV power. I drive them with a working 555 timer circuit running from a 9 VDC battery operating around 30 kHz, confirmed on oscilloscope. The first transformer (0.5 Ohm primary, 50 Ohm secondary) gives about 50 volt spikes. When I connect the second transformer in series, voltage peaks drop to only a couple volts. I use a diode across the transformer poles on the primary side of the first transformer, which mainly has effect of making circuit more stable over time. I could mention that the transformers appear to operate optimally around the 30 kHz I am using.

Now that I have an oscilloscope, I know my 555 circuits work very well, like textbook examples, but I also know that consistently adding NPN transistors to the 555 output before the transformers seriously pulls down the voltage output from the transformers. Thus far, without the NPN, the 555 is not overheating, etc, so I would rather leave this alone. Actually, I was thinking to maybe try opto-switches or a relay to power the transformers from a series of 2 or more 12 volt batteries.

May I therefore ask for some suggestions about getting better coupling from one transformer stage to the next? Circuit suggestions about opto-switches and relays also welcome...

Dominic

Reply to
Dominic-Luc Webb