12 Volt DC Battery as Power Source for Camping

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 13:32:03 -0700, beth.stover wrote: ...

Then take the battery back to the store and get your money back, and go buy a small Honda (or so) generator, and don't worry about what you plug into it, as long as you don't go over its rating. You might even have enough leftover watts to share with your neighbors. ;-)

Heck, you could even run a little fridge to keep the beers cold! ;-) (be sure to bring generator fuel. ;-) )

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

She and her girlfriend are going tailgating at Burning Man.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Thanks Ed, maybe I'll trry finding boombox that has a car adapter input.

Generators aren't really an option for us. The theme this year is to be 'green.' Generators are noisy and smell bad.

Thanks for all the replies!

Reply to
beth.stover

The theme this year is to be 'green.' Generators are noisy and smell bad.

After two weeks in the desert with that group you will also be noisy and smell bad.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

So will that part of the desert, for a long time. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Boy, I walked into the wrong group didn't I !!!?

To the last poster, I'll mention that volunteer groups stay at the site for months cleaning everything up and removing all traces. Also, NV BLM controls where the site is located -- moving it every year to minimize impact. Mostly people are very responsible ... except for the frat boys who show up at the end and trash things. There's always a rotten apple ... the rest of us make up for them by taking responsibility for ourselves and helping others out. We all go through our areas every day to make sure there is no loose trash, and I can't say I've ever seen trash on the ground until, like I said, the jerks show up on the last weekend.

For the sake of closure and fun, I'll mention that ...

I found a nifty converter with a universal adapter on one end that accommodates multiple plug types to fit my boom box. The other end plugs into a car adapter socket, so that solved that. 12 bucks at Radio Shack.

I also upgraded my system to a 72 Amp hour battery. The curling iron is actually a straightening iron. I thought that would get a rise, and it did. ;-) If you could see my girlfriend with straight hair, you'd understand why I'm making the extra effort. It makes her happy and that makes me happy. Besides, it's only 45 watts. I figure with that capacity I could straighten YOUR hair for 16 hours or so. Come to BM and join us. You might actually like it.

We testing everything on a camping trip, and it worked like a charm for 6 days.

Cheers!

Beth S. Stover Senior Network Engineer/DBA

Reply to
beth.stover

Glad your B.M. came out okay ;-)

In spite of what some may have posted here, as a rule we mostly appreciate it when somebody posts back to report how things worked out, whether it came from following any of the suggestions given here or not.

Regards,

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

A couple months is a long time to some people. :(

Just like the trolls who have been trying to bring this group down, for a long, long time.

In the US Army we called that "Policing the area", making sure that not even a cigarette butt was left behind. This was done daily, sometimes hourly to teach the slobs to clean up after themselves.

Radio Shack? EWWWW!!! :)

I have installed several dual batter chargers to allow the auxiliary battery to be used without running down the vehicle battery. Two of them were on paddle boats at a small amusement park in SW Ohio so they could play music with the engine shut down. Others were in RVs and work trucks. You might look into it, if you need extra capacity.

You don't need to straighten a burr haircut! ;-)

Sorry, but I am in my late '50s, 100% disabled, and don't travel anymore. I prefer Country and Bluegrass music, so I have the WSM stream on most of the day, every day.

Three evenings a week there are live shows, known as the Grand Ole Opry.

Good luck.

One thing about this newsgroup. There is a lot of joking, but a high number of trolls and troublemakers, too. We also get a lot of perpetual motion and free energy types trying to delude us, like they are. Some of the characters on the group seem to be terrified of women, and do their best to drive them off the group.

I built the RF end of the broadband connection for the International Space Station in 200/2001. Data, live video, and multiple audio channels. Microdyne was a fun place to work. :) We also built a pair of tracking telemetry systems for the European Space Agency at that time.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Beth is leading you guys on...... curling irons in the desert off a 12 volt battery. You all ought to be ashamed of yourselves falling for this. Hey Beth... what are you doing the first two weeks of September?

Reply to
rpbc

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 14:03:19 -0700, beth.stover wrote: ...

Yeah! Come on out to the desert and have a big BM with us! ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Newsgroup Wacko

Hey, if you GUYS want proof, then I'd be happy to supply pictures. ;-) I've been running my boom box, "straightening iron," LED lights and a camera charger for 2 days straight, so I think I'm in good shape ... and so will be my girlfriend. The straightening iron is running of an inverter, pulling an extra load, so we'll see.

Rich, I'll be in Black Rock City. Where will you be?

Cheers-Backatcha!

Beth S. Stover

Reply to
beth.stover

Probably here, sigh.

But isn't that the one where some people run around naked? Are any of them good-looking? ;-)

If so, then we'd like pix. ;-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

:-)

Too bad, Rich. Some of nudity is pleasing, yes. Some not. You have to look where you wanna look.

Here's the image gallery for last year. These images really show off the technical aspect of the event. Lot of geeks and egg-heads. It's amazing what people do.

beth.stover