inverter for a 12 volts DC to a 22 or 24 volts AC ?

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to find a powersupply or a inverter to connect a small icebox system based on a Sawafuji compressor swing motor. This icebox will be installed inside a Westfalia camper.

This system need a 22 or 24 volts AC power. I didn't find anything on Internet.

anything to suggest ??

thanks,

Reply to
rimbaudjet

Have you considered getting a largish automotive inverter to give you a line voltage output, and then just using a power transformer?

Cheers Chris

Reply to
Chris

Hum...

Why not ? But maybe i can loose power in this conversion. Going from 12 V DCto 110 VAC volts and downgrade to 22 VAC ???? Also, not sure that could work with that kind of special motor.

I found that I can purchase the original powersupply for this unit, but they sold that for 250$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remi

Reply to
rimbaudjet

Hi, Remi. Yes, you'll lose quite a bit of power (probably around half of the total battery power consumed) by using this method. Also, since your inverter is driving an inductive load, you'll end up losing even more.

It might be that the $250 solution might not be the worst way to solve your problem.

But, if the general, all-purpose "buy an automotive inverter and just use the 120VAC" doesn't sound good, and money's a little tight, you might want to at least give a little more information. You could start with the motor current requirement -- it should be on the nameplate of the motor. Also, you might want to describe more about your 12VDC source -- is this a car, a free-standing automotive battery, a gel cell, 8 "D" batteries in series, or what? Any additional information might help.

By the way, please bottom post. Since you're a Google person, please read Google Groups Help Topic "What's good 'netiquette' when posting to Usenet?"

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

I just found this text on the net.

It seams that Chris idea isn't so bad.... I'll investigate this solution.....

There's any technical spec on the body of compressor. I'll try to ask to the japan company.... My source is a 12 volts DC depth cycle batterie in a camping car. I read that kind of device need 3 amp/hres for a small icebox.

Remi

Reply to
rimbaudjet

If this unit is designed for campers it probably needs it's own special inverter which runs from 12 VDC. What frequencies is it designed to run at? What is the start up surge?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson