Subject Author Posted Replies

LT Spice Trick
Not everyone may know this one. Given a series string of unconnected parts, you can select the wire tool, the pencil icon, and draw one long line through all the parts to do the connections. You can...
3
3

Don Lancaster: RIP
I remember when Don used to post on S.E.D. years ago. I talked wth him once or twice in the 90s. I bought a couple of his books like The TTL Cookbook and TV Typewriter. Don was 83
113
113

Swapping transformer I/O
Can I use this for 220V input and 380V output? should give me around 400V to 450V full bridge rectified DC. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 5W 10W 15W 20W 30W 50W 60W 80W...
10
10

fabulous book
The Perfectionists by Simon Winchester. About the evolution of the concept of precision.
19
19

power supply dynamics
I want to build a cheap-ish 8-channel DC power supply. Each channel can be a half-bridge, which is easy. If I filter with an inductor and a low-ESR cap, I get good ripple but if I take feedback from...
21
21

Cars and the chip shortage
Since microchips are such a small part of a car, how can the chip shortage be affecting them? Won't they just pay more for the chips and get them before other uses? Tripling the chip price in a car is...
8
8

half wave rectifier
As part of an experiment with solar, I want to drive my 220V 3kW immersion heater with a suitable diode so that the effective power is ~1.5kW and can be driven by a smart switch so that it doesn't...
81
81

FPGA I2C sanity check
So we're doing this high speed lidar camera that I've been talking about. It has a Cyclone V system-on-module, which seems pretty nice, although I haven't gone into it very deeply. For various control...
10
10

What happens if I connect a computer fan reversed?
Hi, What happens if I connect a computer fan reversed? A brushless one. I know it has electronics to produce a rotating magnetic field from DC, but what happens if I reverse the connection? - nothing...
16
16

Can electricity conduct through a fine spray of water?
If there was a fine mist being sprayed (like you get from something you spray plants with), and there was a live wire somewhere in the mist, could it jump through the spray to a grounded point?
106
106

Raindrops creating electricity?
Raindrops creating electricity? But.... wouldn't you be better sticking a solar panel there? I assume you can't have both? Or could one fold up when not in use?...
40
40

Who is John Woodgate ?
Hi, some ( like me) know him as a long time poster here. John is "pommy" engineer with a strong interest in audio and other things as well as a UK standards committee person. See his web site here;...
4
4

Replying by email
Can someone (preferably the list owner) please clarify whether it is possible to reply by email to posts? My attempts to reply, either to or to 'list', using Thunderbird, fail. There are so many...
7
7

Espresso-mv logic minimization
The multi-value option on the Espresso logic-minimization software can be used to solve the "input-encoding" problem, where you have say some m-bit ROM and some number of outputs n > m, and you want...
7
7

Dividing a 32768 Hz crystal frequency
I want to divide a 32768 Hz crystal frequency by 20 to get a stable frequency for a component bridge. I could use a 4017 and half a a 4013 (sorry about these ancient devices, but they are still good...
109
109