Zobel Speaker RCs

How necessary are they really? How much of a problem is it if speaker Z rises at hf? I'm asking myself if I can get away with omitting them on small amplifiers. I omitted one on the little class A amp without any problem.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Some amps will tend to oscillate when connected to a cable+crossover+speaker load.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

They're probably only needed if you have a cross-over network and are concerned with the load impedance to the amplifier making it go unstable.

I might also use a Zobel network, located at the amplifier, if I had very long wiring runs to the speaker. ...Jim Thompson

I don't know much about speakers, I've made some air core B field coils, and stuck Zobel networks on them. I don't recall much testing without the Zobel in place. (old design) So I could be making things worse... They work fine.

George H. (For me a Zobel is the parallel combo of a series R+L and R+C, such that with ideal components it looks resistive at all frequencies. (RC=L/R)

Reply to
George Herold

But diverts power from the real load at the "crossover" frequency. ...Jim Thompson

The Phase Linear 400 Series Two has no coil. Just a cap and resistor to ground right at the output terminals.

Reply to
jurb6006

Thank you to all... its as I expected, but lacked confidence. Ie a 1 way speaker not on a long wire = no real problem without an RC or RL. Odd then that manufacturers of chips aimed directly at 1 way small speaker on short leads advise including an RC.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

** So did all the Phase Linear power maps.

And they would *oscillate like mad* under the right capacitive load conditions.

Meant that only figure-8 cable could be used for the speakers - unless you added a small L after the output.

25 turns of wire would on a thick pen did the trick.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** You lack a brain as well.
** Bollocks.
** Single chip IC amps need an RC zobel or they will oscillate into an open circuit and/or most single speakers. If the maker specs it in the data sheet it IS needed.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

If you google Zobel + loudspeaker, you get the standard audio-world nonsense. There's no acoustic problem if the speaker Z rises with frequency; the amp is a voltage source, after all, and the speaker doesn't know if the amp has an RC inside.

The problem is that a lot of amps will oscillate, loaded or not, and an RC on the output helps. The oscillation is usually supersonic, so the tau of the RC can be pretty short.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

And they would *oscillate like mad* under the right capacitive load conditi ons. "

Which cranks up aother few questions. I have seen these things with the coi l, and/or the cap and resistor both outside and indise trhe feedback loop a nd/or the protection relay or fuses. What gives ? Seems like the best way i s the coil to the resistor and cap and it is all probably outside the feedb ack netwwork but insie the protection relay.

Doesn't that seem logical ? Really. Why do it any other way ?

Also, just WHAT conditions ? I got a 400/2 and I am curious. what kind of l oad like electrostatics ? Or maybe systems with peizo tweeters ? I know tho se did wreak havoc on one little amp or something I had but it wasn't reall y high fidelity. (yes, there is high fidelity without audiophoolery, the pr oblem comes when people got too much money)

u added a small L after the output. "

WTF is figure 8 cable ?

Seems like alot less turns would do it, probably in most cases. But then ho w do people detect that ? If it is oscillating at 1 MHz nobody can hear tha t. Do the lights dim ? Is there like a hum in the speakers from the filters draining ? And if left untouched, do these tings just either blow the amp or tweeters and leave everyone in a mystery ?

Just some thoughts here.

Reply to
jurb6006

** It's the speaker CABALE that is the potential hazard.
** Twin lead.

** But I have tried it and YOU have not.

But then how do people detect that ? If it is oscillating at 1 MHz nobody can hear that. Do the lights dim ? Is there like a hum in the speakers from the filters draining ?

** The output transistors quickly overheat, fail and the fuses blow.

There may be a little hum to warn you or the internal zobel resistors will send out smoke signals.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison