Zener Q

Pricing seems to roughly track

P = $7/TC_PPM

A more extensive scatter plot would be interesting.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

[...]

Here is a plot I did of ye olde LTZ1000:

Shows output voltage constant to within +/- 0.1ppm or so, over 8 hours and a 20K temperature swing. Apart from that negative spike, don't know wht that was.

Not the most practical of parts though.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Very pretty! IIRC the HP 3458A uses a bunch of LTZ1000s averaged together. I have a couple in the drawer but haven't ever actually used one.

Cheers

Phil HObbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Nah, the 3458A has just the one LTZ1000.

You may be thinking of the voltage standards where they do do that.

The one I had under test was in a "environmental chamber" (bud beer fridge) with a decent temperature swing, whereas the meter temperature was reasonably constant. Though not actively controlled. Nonetheless part of the variation, and much of the noise, was likely the meter.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

say 20C to

s.

r to

art.

worry

that

are a

goes

40's

ut

uch

ones

ie

g a C

OK we buy the LM399 for ~$5 (/100) 2ppm/K (another data point for your plot.)

George H.

.highlandtechnology.com=A0 jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Reply to
George Herold

20C to

LTZ1000 is ~$40, 0.05ppm/K.

Hmm, should be $140 according to Larkins formula. Bargain!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Check; know about tradition; that and $5 may get you a cup of coffee at StarBucks.

The Vishay datasheet lists both of those as having the lowest (and same) temperature coefficient: ± 0.030 %/C. The 6.2V zener is listed at 0.045 %/C,and the 6.8V zener is listed at

0.05 %/C.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Don't you mean that if one took a higher voltage zener (with a positive TC) and put it in series with a diode (or DCT) that one might get something rather close to zero TC?

Reply to
Robert Baer

MotorBoat made TC diodes,most were around 8V.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Visions of Billy boy on his yacht?

Reply to
Robert Baer

20C to

The Apex parts (+/-0.6ppm/K maximum) are $80 apiece in small quantities.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

t (say 20C to

ands.

afer to

ntor

d part.

ck.

me worry

so that

se are a

29 goes

M4040's

the

about

=A0TI

y much

od ones

s die

ting a C

ld.

he

"The Journey is the reward"

eff.com- Hide quoted text -

Ouch, that's spendy. 'course all Apex stuff is. I was thinking the lm399 might be over-kill in the circuit, It's from a diode laser current driver by K. Leibricht and J Hall. RSI 1993? (I've used some RSI circuits.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yes, and that is exactly how "TC zeners" were made. E.g. 1N821 .. 1N829.

1N829 has guaranteed TC of 5ppm/K.
--

John Devereux
Reply to

(say 20C

ds.

But you've got to control the current through it rather exactly to actually get that temperature coefficient - using the 1N829 was expensive. Not only did you pay through the nose for the part itself, but you needed 15ppm 0.1% resistors to control the current through it, and a good op amp to make sure that it stayed right even if the supply voltage moved around a bit.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman