Low Zener Voltage?

Hi Guys:

This is a simple one. I've got a 0 to 5V square wave that I want to convert to a 0 to 3.3V square wave. I tried putting a series resistor and a 3.3V zener diode to ground.

The wave stays nice and square, but it comes out as 0 to 2.0 volts. I have tried varying the value of the resistor, but it doesn't help. What am I doing wrong? Is there a better way to do what I'm trying to do?

Thanks for any replies.

Don

Reply to
eromlignod

A better answer depends on several things. What is the frequency of the square wave? How fast must the rise and fall times be?

What is the source of the 5 volt wave? How much load can it tolerate before sagging too much?

What load will be places on the 3.3 volt output?

Some possibilities:

2 resistor divider.

Resistor and green LED divider.

3.3 volt linear regulator, e.g.:

Resistor and 3.3 volt shunt regulator.

Reply to
John Popelish

Bad Zener?, not enough Resistance and there for you're loading the output source down to much? or maybe you have a capacitance problem?

You should first verify that the zener is operating correctly. connect it to a supply via a resistor that places the zener in it's normal operating range of current. Then perform a Voltage test across it.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

"eromlignod"

** You did not READ the spec for your 3.3 volt zener.

Eg:

The 1N746A is a 400mW, *nominal* 3.3 volt zener, with rated test current of

20mA !!

The 1N4728 is a 1 watt, *nominal* 3.3 volt zener with rated tests current of 76mA !!!!!

At low current of say 1 mA , the conduction voltage of either type may well be only 2.0 volts.

Low voltage zeners are *darn soggy * and vague voltage references.

Change the zener to one with a higher * nominal* rated zener voltage, till you get the 3.3 volts you want.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Zeners are very 'sloppy' at regulating voltages. You're putting too little current through the zener.

An 'active clamp' is perhaps the best answer (or a dedicated buffer for voltage translation) but do you need to implement this with very few parts ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Trust you not to have a clue.