Zener noise / oscillations

Check! That is what i saw (no pun intended).

Reply to
Robert Baer

I remember a while back references to that; sounded worthy of a textbook. Is that thread or (one) book available,and where?

Reply to
Robert Baer

protection.

There are "TC Zeners" that are still, just about, available. 1N82x for example.

These are zeners with forward biased (silicon) diodes in series with them. The TCs cancel, very well for some parts. 1N829 is guaranteed <

5ppm/K over a huge temperature range. These end up being 6.2V usually, there are also combinations with two forward biased diodes and other zener voltages so you could other voltages like 11V.

There were also "reference amplifiers" that used a transistor b-e junction instead of the forward biased diode, and pinned out the collector so it could be used as part of the regulation circuit. Never heard of the Ge transistor ones, I guess that gives you another combination.

But I was actually thinking of the integrated types, LT1236, LM199, LTZ1000 for example.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

current,

oscillator:

"sorry you do not have access to the article"

Reply to
Robert Baer

I do not care about the voltage rating of the zener. So far,i have tested some of the BZX84Cxx series (Vishay, as the co$t is low), and the 18V and 22V look "good" ; the Fairchild 18V was rather ugly. Also tested a number of the MMBZ52xxB series (Vishay, as the co$t is low),16V to 27V; some were not too bad and a few were terrible. Recently got the 68V and 75V zener, and WOW! The 68V zener was the most ugly negative resistance oscillator and noise zener i had ever seen! Fully recommend it if that is what you need. OTH the 75V looks perfect - meaning i better find a decent way to check its dynamic resistance VS current - - getting back to (one of my questions) how to do that in a reasonable manner, without unduly "upsetting" the zener. Need minimal Heisenberg here..

Reply to
Robert Baer

current,

oscillator:

Best i have done is near 2KV for downhole work but can go to 3750V.

Reply to
Robert Baer

and

say&amp;quot;frequency&amp;quot; as that gives

at higher current,

oscillator:

Check; that is why i would like to see the whole article.

Reply to
Robert Baer

protection.

Now THAT must be very handy!

Reply to
Robert Baer

and

say&amp;quot;frequency&amp;quot; as that gives

Then at higher current,

sees

oscillator:

Check; see my previous posting WRT 68V and 75V zeners.

Reply to
Robert Baer

use in saw-tooth oscillator circuits. Obviously if you that you are causing poorly controlled physical changes of the semiconductor properties. You know a TL431 shunt regulator costs so little these days that you should use it in your circuits in preference to a zener diode. It is so much better and 1960's style voltage regulation is not such a great idea these days. Yes, a TL431 is cheap but the minimal standing current is way above what is needed.

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Mon, 23 Jul 2012 21:22:42 -0700) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

Regulation implies reference in thsi context.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 23 Jul 2012 21:26:50 -0700) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

protection.

If you put 2 coins of the right meterial on top of each other you get a 2 cent? worth voltage. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:55:53 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson wrote in :

I am using the Microchip MPC1525 refernce, it outputs 2.5 V while using 100uA, drop out voltage is typical 137 mV @ 2 mA out.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 23 Jul 2012 21:56:19 -0700) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

protection.

The PIC 18F... has an internal programable bandgap reference, you can select for 1.024V, and 2 or 3, or 4 x that, so up to 4.096 V, and uses very low power. It can probably replace the rest of your circuit too ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje
[...]

Current per cross-sectional seems to be the critical parameter for most device measurements, I would be very surprised if that didn't apply to zeners too.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

1mA? TLV431 is 100uA and 1.240V, much improved.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

protection.

Yep. Low voltage, low current is in vogue. I've done whole chips at

5uA. ...Jim Thompson

for use in saw-tooth oscillator circuits. Obviously if you that you are causing poorly controlled physical changes of the semiconductor properties. You know a TL431 shunt regulator costs so little these days that you should use it in your circuits in preference to a zener diode. It is so much better and 1960's style voltage regulation is not such a great idea these days.

Isn't there a low current, lower voltage (1.25V) available? ...Jim Thompson

current,

For test purposes as far as detecting the negative resistance region, I would think the standard topology of high impedance source charging the parallel combination of zener || C should bring it out. There you would monitor zener current.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

protection.

Might not work with the counterfeit coins the US mint makes these daze..

Reply to
Robert Baer