Your Favorite ARM?

Yes, That has 2 x 12bit DAC's in it. For $20 can't go wrong. I can add the PHY for the ethernet. STM32F405 is about $11 in qty, not exactly cheap, but if the DAC and ADC's work well then it pays off. Thanks for pointing this one out.

Martin Riddle

You don't KNOW?!?!?!?!

Or are you trolling?

At any rate, its a processor made to a design sold by these guys: http://

Think of it as occupying the equivalent ecological niche as the 8051, only with 32 bits and a much better instruction set.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

As for tools -- as long as the processor JTAG port is compatible, tools are pretty much interchangeable.

I prefer the Gnu tools, but that's for idealogical reasons as much as anything.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Very COoL to hear it works OK. We certainly don't need 0.1% but anything that makes it like, 1% or less would be nice.

So, how good do you find the linearity without doing anything at all ?? Seems that I did this with the 10 bit converter in the LPC2366 once but can't remember for sure.

I hope the A/D mux doesn't cause any problems. None that I know of though. I just know that the whole A/D system, including resistors and A/D Vcc etc needs to be taking into account and a table should certainly do it.

Thanks John ! boB K7IQ

Reply to
boB

Reply to
m II

I don't know how John does it, but if you have a stable clock, you can do this sort of thing pretty well with an RC time constant, suitably buffered. You start it off at some known multiple of Vref and watch it decay--nine or ten time constants will get you to zero within the resolution of your ADC. You do need a decent capacitor, or else its voltage coefficient will cause errors.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hmmm... That sounds like a neat idea. And have the micro calculate its own 1-e^-t/rc while it's calibrating itself. Not sure of the best way of switching the cal circuit in and out though. I'm out of A/D inputs myself.

Maybe a decent cap could be plugged into a 2 pin socket of some sort so each unit doesn't have to have the possibly expensive cap stuffed in each board, unless it needs to be calibrated in the field.

I don't need 0.1% like John does.

It's gotta take care of its own V-regulator (reference) too so has to be in the target PCB.

boB K7IQ

Reply to
boB

"The Journey is the reward"

eff.com- Hide quoted text -

Did you actually use the ethernet code that comes with the Stellaris development board? We had a consultant renege on a contract because she claimed that the Luminary/TI libraries were incomplete and unuseable. I didn't have time to validate her claim - which is why we were using a consultant - but It sounded a little suspicious.

Reply to
Bob

The dev boards came with a choice of one of three development systems- we bought all three and then purchased full versions of the one we liked the best for the price. IIRC, they're all based on BSD or something like that and I don't recall any major complaints about the driver- and two or three different people have created working devices with Ethernet as the main communications. I can ask them for more details if it's important to you. Sadly, I've not had a chance to play with it much myself.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

for the same price you can get something like a stm32f407 - 168MHz cortex4,

1Mbyte flash, 192kbyte ram, 16ch. 12 bit adc, 4xUART, usb, ethernet, 2xCAN, etc. and theres plenty of cortex mcus that are cheaper with a bit less memory that are cheaper

unless you absolutly need 5V io, why choose the slow 8bitter?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

"The Journey is the reward"

eff.com

That pretty much confirms what I thought. Thanks for the info. ;)

Reply to
Bob

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 22:36:08 -0500, Martin Riddle wrote: [snip]

If you want Ethernet look at the TI parts. Advantage is a built in phy. I'm using a LPC1768 with a SMSC LAN8720A phy. Other requirements forced me out of the TI part.

--
Chisolm
Texas