polenta, twice

Boil 4 cups of water and stir in 1 cup of coarse dry polenta. Simmer and stir for 20 minutes. 2/3 through, add a half cup of sweet corn kernels... the frozen kind are fine. Add a little water if it looks dry. Serve with butter, salt, pepper, mascarpone, and grated cheeses... white cheddar, parmesan, asiago, whatever. That's dinner.

Pack the leftovers into a squarish container, cover, refrigerate overnight. Next morning, it will be congealed; slam it out onto a cutting board and slice into slabs maybe 0.5 inch thick. Fry in a hot skillet in butter until browned on both sides. Serve with warm maple syrup. That's breakfast.

John

- . ( ). :

:
.

Reply to
Gravio

[...]

Do you often photograph your breakfast?

Anyways, I've done the same thing and it's delicious if not eaten too often. I guess the recipe could be called Mexican toast as opposed to the French variety.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Not above a few times a year.

Works with grits, too.

John

Or eat what the wife cooks up ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Try photobucket.com. :-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Where are you from originally?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

New Orleans. I was born in the back seat of a 1936 Ford, on the streetcar tracks at the intersection of St Charles and Napoleon Avenues. There was a brief argument for naming me Charles Napoleon Larkin, but my mother refused. Thanks, mom.

30 years later, it occurred to me that the place sucked, and that I could no longer do serious electronics there, so I moved to California. New Orleans suffers under the weight of centuries of brain-drain.

John

I'm usually in charge of breakfast, since she has to get to work by

8:30 or something ghastly like that. All my engineers seem to straggle in around 9:30-ish and work till maybe 6 or 6:30. The production people are at work by 7:30 or 8, and all gone by 4PM.

John

So it's just plain old St. John then? ;-)

I thought it was an ok place til they all moved to houston and didn't go back.

The reason I asked is that you make a distinction between grits and polenta. Is there a difference?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Isn't it hominy=>grits, yellow corn=>polenta ??

...Jim Thompson

So the difference is sodium hydroxide? Talk about hair splitting. ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Polenta is yellow corn meal. Grits is bleached white. They both have a faintly wheaty, slightly bitter flavor, but the polenta has corn flavor too. The other difference is that you can get a bowl of polenta for $8 at a nearby restaurant, and I doubt that anyone has ever charged much over $1 for a serving of grits.

John

Ok, I didn't realize that there was such a _vast_ difference between the two. ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Anthony Fremont snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

I suspect that it is location dependant.

Reply to
JosephKK