XP Embedded

On a sunny day (Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:08:33 -0800 (PST)) it happened MooseFET wrote in :

As to security: I am always root. It is absurd to limit your own strength. Like driving a car by pushing it, and leaving the engine of, low speed is safer... A good firewall and some scripts is all you need in Linux to be 100% secure. The danger of 'maybe you will erase something important accidently' is true, but then again in 12 years I have only done that once, and it took 30 minutes to restore the erased X11 libs.... There is even a distro that shows a big red background if you log in as root. What a load of bull. If you do not know what you are doing you should not use a computer. I am root now. Need it as I do lots of direct I/O too, and always work on the system.

Only in case of a big network with many no clue users, is there a need to create teethless accounts. Actually I did use Puppee as rescue one day, eeePC started refusing to boot, I had not long before that made a copy of the FLASH, (dd with pupppee to external USB drive). So as I did not want to spend hours looking for a flipped bit in the eeePC FLASH (what it must have been), I just copied back the backup flash via puppee, thing has been working 100% OK ever since. So the essence is: puppeee is great, you need to be root for that anyways, and ALWAYS MAKE BACKUPS on a regular basis, preferably from the whole system.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Well, I'm not seeing the *several* thing.

I looked and I *am* beh>Only in case of a big network with many no clue users,

The no-clue thing is the big gotcha. The point here is *never* give Puppy to a newbie. Those looking for a first distro: Don't be beguiled by Puppy.

Well, on that basis, it would be reasonable to run Windoze as root.

8-)
Reply to
JeffM

I recall that the subject has come up a few times. This is an ISO with multiuser and somewhere an explanation of how to make other multiuser versions.

I didn't pay a lot of attention at the time.

That is the best way to run Windoze. It really does improve productivity because you can have more than one DOS prompt up at a time.

Reply to
MooseFET