XP Embedded

using, or used, it?

with

UK

A UK political = party
Occult Talk Show

I am not sure what you call good quality soundcard but Linux has support=20 RME-Hammerfall and M-Audio digital sound equipment (this is called = semi-pro=20 in some circles), as well as most all mainstream PC audio cards.

Reply to
JosephKK

Another isohunt dude. Cool. Shame that mininova went south, but yeah, that's cool.

I doubt that folks here have enough brains to do the isohunt thing. Most of them have that "pissed off at the complicated remote so throw it across the room mentality" and you think they can understand torrents? Ha! Good luck with that one!

Thanks for the link, BTW. I am getting it, and one of the USB jobs.

Reply to
life imitates life

windows :-)

No, it does NOT, idiot. It provides the MACHINE environment that Windows "wants" to "see".

Not that a twit like you could even understand the difference.

Reply to
FatBytestard

snipped-for-privacy@t23g2000yqt.googlegroups.com...

nto

Such things tend to happen. People want lots of features that they end up not actually using so there is pressure to include lots of things into Linux. I used to be a great fan of SuSE because it all worked out of the box. Later versions seem to have lost this characteristic.

My most common rant is:

If you say that your program works under a version of Linux you are saying that if I take a fresh install of that version of Linux and install your program it will work.

I am willing to chase one or two dependencies because you may have just forgotten but if it hits 3 or 30, don't expect me to keep going on. I will just uninstall the program and go do something useful.

Reply to
MooseFET

You are arguing with one of the many names used by AlwaysWrong. His disagreement on a point is about as good of confirmation of it as many others agreement.

Reply to
MooseFET

e at

Programs that use a lot of the MFC things tend to not work the same under wine. The wine API isn't and exact bug for bug copy of the Windows one. It implements what the API is claimed to do.

I have found that some programs access memory based on uninitialized pointers. They "work" under windows because the pointer happens to point to some safe place but not under wine because things are in different places.

On some programs I have had to try different versions of wine to get them to run.

Reply to
MooseFET

Did you even read what he wrote, you retarded piece of shit?

Reply to
Lil Red Riding In The Hood

snipped-for-privacy@t23g2000yqt.googlegroups.com...

re

he

into

sed

Dependencies are death. If you get a posix binary, that greatly reduces the headaches, but even that might take some instructions specific to the distribution. [Some distributions don't automatically enable the posix shared memory.]

I'm amazed how Google put out a version of Google Earth that works under posix. Just make the binary executable and off you go. It is up to the user to make the system work with openGL.

Reply to
miso

You could not afford even our smallest, least expensive product.

Let alone the fact that you do not have the credentials required to buy anything I make either.

You couldn't get a security clearance if your life depended on it.

Reply to
FatBytestard

meddelelsennews: snipped-for-privacy@t23g2000yqt.googlegr= oups.com...

more

the

included into

released

Yep. And a lot of Suse folk dinna understand when i raged so bitterly=20 for so long against all the eye heroin (candy) in KDE4 corrupting it=20 from having proper function. Nearly made me a Gnome convert.

Reply to
JosephKK

rote:

snipped-for-privacy@t23g2000yqt.googlegroups.com...

ore

the

d into

ased

I'm running KDE3 on SuSE-11.1

I could see no reason to leave the KDE4 installed. It was just plane broken.

Lately I have become a bit of a fan of JWM. It is very light weight and does just about everything right.

Reply to
MooseFET

snipped-for-privacy@t23g2000yqt.googlegroups.com...

more

the

ed into

eased

It is mostly a case of not using things or including them in the binary by statically linking them in. If you keep the application simple, the odds of making headaches for the installers is far less.

Reply to
MooseFET

MooseFET Inscribed thus:

meddelelsennews: snipped-for-privacy@t23g2000yqt.googlegroups.com...

You guys are not the only ones running KDE3 on Open SuSE 11.1. KDE4 is awful... I certainly won't inflict it on my clients. I also don't like the way KDE4 components are installed when you download updates.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

On a sunny day (Sun, 28 Feb 2010 23:30:20 -0800 (PST)) it happened MooseFET wrote in :

I use fvwm (the older one) with 9 virtual screens on grml. I have one file manager in one screen with icons, and 8 rxvt or xterms in the others. Very few applications I start by clicking on an icon, and then dragging those to an other virtual screen via the pager. I think 99 % I just type the application's name, perhaps followed by a '&' to leave the command line free, like for most pdfs these days. GUI file browsers are in fact for analphabetics who cannot write and type, so they point to a picture, like 'I wanna have this?', just like dumb people. Of course Microsoft has to target the lowest denominator in the population, the sad thing is that some Linux developers try to imitate it, QT4 took hours to compile, and did not give my system any extra functionality except a speed brake, and added bloat. I do not even have gtk on this system, it failed to compile at one point. I write all my GUI based programs using xforms:

It is faster, smaller, and absolutely reliable, has a C code generator 'fdesign' too: grml: ~ # l /usr/X11R6/lib/libforms.so.1.0

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1580536 2008-02-04 14:42 /usr/X11R6/lib/libforms.so.1.0*

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

They have both gone overboard. XFCE beats both now.

Reply to
MeowSayTongue

ET

the others.

hose

'
,

ple.

n, the sad

lity

design' too:

o.1.0*

Qcad needs QT to run so I have QT installed on my SuSE.

Strangely, Puppy Linux uses QT4. It is an extremely compact and fast Linux. QT4 is in there.

du -b

reports a total of 7668338

This isn't all that huge.

Reply to
MooseFET

On a sunny day (Mon, 1 Mar 2010 06:41:18 -0800 (PST)) it happened MooseFET wrote in :

True, I have the libs for QT3, and I use Opera, a static linked version, so it has probably Qt4 in it, but could also be Qt3, not sure. I have puppy on an SD card for my eeePC, just as rescue disk. Not much experience with it, no rescues needed so far :-) I recompiled the eeePC kernel for support for digital terrestrial, so I can watch TV on that small screen (with adaptor). But that killed the wireless drivers, so I have a dual boot via grub on it now: Either TV or normal with wireless... Things like that are not for the weak to try :-) Actually it has 3 boot modes (kernels), one as server with iptables too, so I can use the firewall.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I never understood the persuit to the holy grale of shared libraries. I link my applications statically as much as possible. Storage is cheap. The customer's time and my support is not.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

You are go>Strangely, Puppy Linux uses QT4.

...and always runs as root. It has security similar to Win9x. Puppy should only be run from non-writeable media (and, even then, the other writeable media on the system can be borked).

The one try at a multi-user Puppy was abandoned long ago.

JeffM

I use it in places where MS-DOS would also have enough security. I use a CD to boot from and don't do network stuff with it. Basically it is a "This isnt a PC it is an XXX machine" sort of use.

ch.com/grafpup

The multiuser puppy idea has been back several times. There are versions with it. They apepar to work.

Reply to
MooseFET