WTF Xilinx...

For a customer I have to install some xilinx SW to flash an FPGA design of theirs.

D/L their last release of labtools...

1.1Go, no less.

Well, I expect be able to select the programming tool I want, so lets go for the install.

Crap, it barfs 4Go on my HD.

Morons...

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Yeah, we've gone to Altera, since their software is somewhat less horrible.

Can't the customer send you the binary or an RBT file? In other words, just the config bits.

How are you storing the config? In a serial flash chip?

I wrote a command-line program to make image files from Xilinx RBT and S28 (uP code) files, if that might help. And I did another one to bit-swap files, which is what you have to do to turn an Altera RBF file into a serial flash image.

Grrrr.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yeah, a long time ago, they used to have a "lab only" install option that basically only installed Impact, the CPLD/FPGA downloader. Actually, at least as of 10.1, Impact would still run pretty much stand-alone, but you had to strip down the install yourself.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Go?

SI preferred prefix is Gi, no Go. And a b or B is missing to specify.

GIGO, Fred ;)

Tim

Tim Williams