Workplace Injury

Once I knocked a soldering iron off a table and caught it in mid-air. Only once.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Cyanoacrylate works. Solders fingers to nearly anything.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

They might work better if you left them on your hand, instead of landing them in your mouth.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

When I last burned myself with a soldering iron, I was distracted stirring an ice-bath, calibrating a temperature sensor. Plunging my finger into the ice bath within a few seconds of the third-degree burn seemed like a miracle afterwards -- it didn't hurt, not even a little bit, didn't get red or angry, and healed up just fine.

The next time I got burned was soldering copper plumbing with a torch, when solder gushed out of the joint onto my forearm. Ice, direct, in perhaps thirty seconds. Same trick, worked great.

Phil says later that ice is bad 'cause it stops needed inflammation, which it certainly does, but I still healed well. It's worked well for me. Of course those incidents were a few decades ago...might not work as well today.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Inflammation is needed for infections, much less so for superficial burns.

You can also cure blisters instantaneously by draining them and gluing the flap down with cyanoacrylate.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Friction blisters, I mean, not burn blisters.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Unseasoned Aldolph's meat enderizer.

Best thing for 2nd degree and above burns. in lue of hospitalization.

The burns instutute says so too.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I drain them with a needle that has been heated in a gas flame, then gentle pressure to exude the liquid. That produces a minimal hole and minimal risk of infection.

I then put a piece of fabric /sticking/[1] plaster over it, a dab of disinfectant that soaks into the pad over the hole, and leave it for a week. I know you aren't supposed to do the latter, but I haven't had problems.

That technique has worked even in "difficult" areas like the foot.

[1] surprisingly difficult to get nowadays. Most plasters are non-sticking plasters that fall off after a couple of hours. I imagine that increases the demand for plasters and stops wimps whining.
Reply to
Tom Gardner

There's an optimal algorithm for cooling the finger and eating the sandwich as it melts. It stops the pain and tastes good.

It was pretty seriously burned, a good hit in the barrel of my Metcal. Looks pretty good today.

I was squinting through my Mantis at my little board bolted into a chocolate tin, pulling against all the cables still connected, pulling the Metcal cord in the opposite direction, trying to solder an SC79 diode in tweezers into a SOT23 footprint, hoping I had the polarity right on a part about as big as some bacteria with basically invisible laser markings. Not a single scut bunny available to do it for me.

Worst of all, that was the last ice cream sandwich.

It's my spare-time Colpitts project. The skyworks varicap is rated for

15 volts max, but the data sheet stops at 8 volts, so I have to buy+try parts and plot frequency-voltage curves. I only need a fraction of a pF trim, a roughly a thousand PPM frequency, so I'm running way out on the curve.

The hyperabrupt parts are (I think) supposed to make the VCO frequency linear on applied voltage, but I think that works if the dominant capacitance is the varicap itself, and you run in the low voltage part of the curve. Does anybody know about that? People sell very linear VCOs and the control voltages are small.

Maybe I can talk the FPGA guy into linearizing the varicap in his math. It affects the control loop.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Hyperabrupts are fabbed using epitaxy to make a graded doping density that falls off as some inverse fractional power of height (distance from the junction).

That way it takes more delta-V to deplete the layers nearest the junction, where the delta-C is fastest, and less to deplete further out. If you do it right you can make your VCO nice and linear.

The inverse fractional power law obviously doesn't extend all the way to the junction. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

When I was a kid I dropped a big glob of molten solder on my barefoot toe. It stuck.

The other painful thing was stepping on an upside-down DIP ic.

Engineers should wear shoes.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

He never got a "third-degree burn" from a soldering iron /eyeroll

Reply to
bitrex

WARNING: HOT IRON. HOLD ONLY BY NON-HOT END

Reply to
bitrex

If I build a new-manufacture product with a vacuum tube's enclosure within reach of the user should I put a "WARNING: HOT SURFACE" label next to it? Probably a good idea, lots of youngsters have never encountered them before.

Reply to
bitrex

bitrex wrote in news:7C%nG.42508$ snipped-for-privacy@fx41.iad: snip

certainly inflict third degree burn level damage. Especially the typically even hotter than that shaft! Eyeroll indeed, putz. A third degree burn can also be had from a motorcycle exhaust, and they are not even as hot as the iron. Just more surface area.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I heard that Nancy Pelosi has two $12,000 freezers full of ice cream.:)

Reply to
Michael Terrell

I can't seem to get rid of the habit of shaking a soldering iron to get rid of excess solder from the tip. In the summer I often work in shorts and slippers. You know what's coming: I sometimes splatter a drop on a bare arm, thigh or foot. I no longer even flinch unless it's a big drop.

Catching an iron in flight is an order of magnitude above that. I salute you.

Reply to
Pimpom

It has bee about 35 year since I saw something falling off someone else' s workbench out the corner of my eye. I caught a hot soldering iron on its way to the floor. I grabbed a tube of silicone grease and covered the damag ed skin within seconds. It kept the skin from drying out by keeping air fro m the burn. IA few days later, the dead skin started to peel off and it lef t no scaring.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Scraping the bottom of the barrel for conversation with that one. Is someone holding you prisoner?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The classic: