Workplace Injury

I've always found aloe vera gel (or squeezed from a chunk from the plant if you have) one soothes it and heals.

Reply to
RheillyPhoull

Not hot enough to give a third-degree burn in the ~250 ms it takes someone with normally-functioning reflexes to pull their hand away after it brushes up on it

Reply to
bitrex

bitrex wrote in news:Qa4oG.86666$ snipped-for-privacy@fx39.iad:

Oh so now you know how long the event lasts.

Sorry, but YOU DO NOT.

It is not about "reflexes". It is about neural response.

The speed of a nerve impulse varies with the type of nerve impulse the nervous system is sending. Some signals such as those for muscle position, travel at speeds up to 119m/s. Nerve impulses such as pain signals travel slower at 0.61m/s. Touch signals travel at speeds of

76.2m/s.

That alone proves you are guessing as you go. It takes over a second for the pain impulse alone to make it up to the brain (from the finger tip), and then more time for the motor impulse to make it back to the muscle.

The amount of time it takes to render a third degree burn on your skin depends on the skin for one thing, there are four types on the human body, the area AND pressure of the contact, the thermal mass of the object, and its temperature.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

At the second hand shop.

Boom boom!

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Hey "Fred", it's a discussion group. It could thread-drift to a valuable discussion about soldering, or varicaps, or ice cream.

And yes, the city of San Francisco is holding us all prisoners.

One good if temporary outcome is that the meter maids are giving courtesy tickets on street cleaning days, not the usual $75 ones.

Do you still solder?

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

the withdrawal reflex is a spinal reflex, by the time the brain gets the memo the hand is already in motion away. it's why it's called a REFLEX.

Even full conscious actions clock in at well under a second; to hit a

100 mph fastball the decision to swing made and the bat has to be in motion by 200 ms after the pitch leaves the pitcher's hand the total flight time to the catcher's mitt is under half a second
Reply to
bitrex

Very good! Pity everything has gone digital...

Reply to
Mike Coon

Manly solution :-

Lint free cotton pad, cut a small square out.

Duct tape.

Not coming off any time soon :)

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
Reply to
Mike

snipped-for-privacy@signal11.invalid (Mike) wrote in news:r7s2n9$69s$1 @posie.signal11.org.uk:

Here is the right thing to use for face masks...

Until there is a run on them because I opened up y'all's eyes.

Easy choice. A furnace filter. One gets a pretty big sheet from that. Cut as required to whatever shape required. Not certified sterile but you can bet they are before you lay your hands on them.

Far better than ANY solution anyone has offered yet. I saw the fiters the other day looking for my water filters, and that was the first thing that popped into my head.

Now watch those run out everywhere. They are not cheap though, but still way better than a vacuum cleaner bag. The price might keep them from going too soon.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Post of the day!

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

You are suspended for 30 days. I recommend bungee cords.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Guaranteed to end your depression over everything.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Cheers

Phil Hobbs