Wood Joining Magnet Driven Connectors

Has to be pricey.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That's pretty cool. I guess it would work in aluminum too, if you went slowly.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

What percentage do you really think will undo years later? It does seem unrealistic.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

"OOOoh! Gosh! Wow!" Translation: Idiot expensive way of fastening. Wood dowels do the same at slightly lower cost...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Wood dowels doesn't do the same, they don't pull the pieces together

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Den mandag den 19. juni 2017 kl. 05.47.50 UTC+2 skrev Spehro Pefhany:

I don't think slowly works, it needs the hammering to transfer any torque

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

As one who dabbles in wood with lots of "honey-do" projects, looks pretty clever to me. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness." -James Barrie

Except when the threads seize later...

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Okay, so fastener design is another area where your knowledge is lacking...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

which is often of course.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

At least with screws (with nice plugs), etc you have a pretty good chance of taking the wooden thingy apart - who is going to know how to take apart stuff made with those magnet driven screws twenty years from now when they want to repair a stair riser?

I see crowbars in their future...

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

20 years from now you have a cyborg update to your eyesight that can look through wood

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Yes. With most fixings what they are can be seen, and a pile of extra force can be applied. I can't help thinking these ones are a product to sell to folk not particularly practical.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

"Will", as in able or "will" as in attempted?

I can imagine that any contamination in the joint could gum up the works. There can't be a lot of force there.

Reply to
krw

No, they don't do the same. Dowels make for pretty poor joinery, in fact.

Reply to
krw

able

If my experience is anything to go by a good 50% of goods made with them will never be able to get all those fixings undone, making them a bit useless. I'd expect to see them on some tv shopping channel.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That was my first worry. I've seen several types of mechanical gizmos for holding wooden bits together and letting go. Futons and such. Mostly I use screws.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

These look pretty nice but expensive. The mortising tool needed to install them is $1400.

Reply to
krw

yeah, it depends how much the screw head is slowed down by the surrounding aluminium, no only does the aluminium slow the diffusion of the magnetic fields from the driver to he screw head, it also acts as a brake on the screw-head during the "hammer stroke".

Jasen Betts

Then it's for manufacturing, and disassemblability won't be a priority.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr